Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This sounds really dumb, but what do you use to change the spark plugs on a VN750? I bought a 18mm Spark Plug Socket and it will not fit down the hole in the head to get to the plug. Is there a special took I have to get from the dealer?

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Well my personal experience has led me to believe the point of a "spark plug" socket is:

a: to not damage or alter your spark gap by dropping the plug into the head
b: to sell you another tool

I found that my craftsman brand 18mm fit inside the head opening and worked well at removal and installation. If you are concerned with electrode/gap damage or dangers of cross-threading my fix is to use a 6-8" section of fuel line (or other appropriately sized hose), smush that over the end of the plug and use that to position and start your plug.

As with anything... YMMV

·
Registered
227 Posts
Craftsman 18MM 3/8" drive 6 point deep socket and a short extension

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
I found two ways-- Use the tool that came with the bike. It fits down inside the spark plug hole.
Or, unscrew the sleeve that goes around the spark plug (that keeps the timing chain compartment closed and clean. Just use a pair of channel-lock pliers. (Only do this when desperate because you MUST change the plug, and you don't have your original equipment tool with you--and in that case, don't worry about the small dings they put in the top of that sleeve). I

1 - 6 of 6 Posts