Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to remove my wheels on my own and change my tires. But I'm not sure the best way to hold up the front end. I still have my center stand. I know I should use a strap to hold the front forks to the center stand, so the stand doesn't fold. But what is the best way to hold up that front end?
:dead_hors

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Lean the bike back and slide a block under the front part of the engine. Aslo you may try to strap the rear of the bike down by using some tihing heavy like a spare tire.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And since I'm not really lifting the bike with the block just balancing it. It won't hurt the engine or my pipes?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to buy some straps to do that, but you think bungies would work instead

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
If using both methods at once, bungees aught to be okay.
When replacing the tire be sure that your spedo gear goes back into place right against the tire.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
?not sure i follow? i know about the speedo stuff, but does it have to go back together a certain way

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
It has a notch that it fits in. When I did the fork seals on mine I had not lined it up right. You will see, just examine it when you take it off. Also take a look at before removing.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How tight does the speedo cable need to be when you put them back on. cuz i know that i tried to take it off before to spray some lube down it and it was really on there

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Just one more idea to balance the front end. If you have a garage with exposed trusses, you could throw a rope over them and tie it to the handle bars to keep the front end up. FWIW

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
Niterider, I also have a 93, 8,600 miles now (2,000) of them mine since last July.

Good advice on the speedometer, I did the same when I changed my front tire. I just used a floorjack with a board on it and put it under the crankcase and applied the slightest amount of pressure to hold the bike. I had no problem at all.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i did some of those things and she's sitting good and stable. now im having trouble getting the tire off the rim. I used a vise to break the bead in one spot. do i need to do that all the way around the tire? and do i need a special tool to pull up the tire and not scratch the rim? or should just take a knife and cut the side wall all the way around?

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
You can take an old glove or other piece of leather and put it between the rim and tire tool or whatever lever you are using. Just remember to move it as you move the tool around. I'd use the vise to break it loose in several places around the rim first. That way you're not fighting to get the tool between the rim and tire, possibly damaging the rim in the process.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah i think i didn't break the bead completely, so i was fighting it. I dont have the tire irons so using a screwdriver kinda sucks. i gave up for today, its too cold out to mess around any more tonight. i may give up completely and bring it in so i can get the rear off and start working on the spline. hopefully i dont have to replace anything there and i can just grease it.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well i gave up completely. without the proper tools or taking the time to build something to break the bead it wasn't happening. maybe in 15k miles. got the front done for $23 and the rear with 90 valve stem for $41. plus now i dont have to burn my tires in the back yard and piss the neighbours off again. now i just have to get moly60 and lube the splines and get them on. and... finish painting my bike... and make a deal with the devil to end winter soon.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Not sure of the tire disposal regulations in your state, but here all businesses that sell tires have to accept old ones, regardless of whether they sold you new ones or not. Believe you can also cut them into at least 4 pieces and dispose in the trash. They don't want entire tires 'cause they don't compress as well in the landfill (think this is more applicable to auto tires, but no waiver for motorcycle tires). Is is against the law to burn tires....

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
naw its totally ok to burn tires, as long as you use used engine oil to start the fire.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
It is still okay here to burn tires as long as they are still on the vehicle and turning really fast. lol

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well even though I got the tires mounted back on the 9th, today was the first day that I actually got to ride with them on. And once again the Metzelers are great. Went with the 170's in rear and stayed with the 100's in front. Should spent the extra 3 buck and got the 110's. Oh well next year will come soon enough.
Onto the next project. seat or shocks???

1 - 20 of 24 Posts