Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i found out that the regulator was testing bad on my 750 vulcan its a 06. i have read though the "getting to the r/r" post and think i understand how to change it or move it but i was wanting to know if any one could put it in simple terms and if any one has photos of the parts step by step. or at least a photo of the area after the battery box is pulled so i make sure im pulling the correct thing. it seems like a simple install but i just havnt worked much with bikes most of my work has been with trucks and cars . thanks for your time.

·
Premium Member
4,737 Posts
Your r/r may be black or faded to gray. Stock location is on the bottom of the battery box. Remove the seat, pull as much off the battery box as you need to get to the r/r, unplug it, unbolt it, and move it to the location niterider posted. You'll need a bracket to mount it to, but the wire will reach easily. Might want to clean the contacts and seal connection with dielectric grease to keep moisture out.

Correction: I see your old r/r is no good, so you can leave it in place if you want.

·
McGyver
25 Posts
You can remove it easily.
there is no need to pull anything off the battery box.
Remove Battery.
Unplug the regulator.
Remove the four 10mm bolts from the sides of the battery box .
You can then position the battery box to easily get to the two 10mm bolts that hold it on.
Youll need a bracket to reposition it.
And as Flight said ,you can just leave it where it is since its bad.

·
Banned
431 Posts
Definitely do NOT remove the bad r/r and put a new one in the same place. Read the forums on this topic and you can learn from others mistakes... a bad r/r can burn up your stator (a really costly / labor intensive repair). I don't know of any reason to remove the bad one (and it can be tested while installed under the battery box), just relocate the new r/r.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright thanks for the replys. do you guys have a suggested replacement? i keep finding some online but the prices seems to jump a lot i found one for 79$ and another for hunderd and thirty bucks. id like to keep it cheap as i can with out buying something bad. thats kind of why i didnt have the shop just replace it.

also i was gonig to try to just relocate the regulator on it first cause i have read that they some times over heat and if you move them they will work fine. this bike ran great for my friend and it didnt have any charging problem but he road on the highway the whole time between work. then when i road in town a lot it than had charging problems come up . so im thinking that in town its getting to hot but when it was on the high way it had enough air to keep it cool. just a thought correct me if i sound wrong.

·
Premium Member
4,737 Posts
If you relocate the old one, be sure to check it with a voltmeter and make sure it's operating correctly. If you fry the stator, you're really gonna regret it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts