Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried several different approaches and found the oil did not want to go down that little hole. I ended up fabricating a pump. (Picture in my gallery) I inserted some 1/8th hard vacuum hose into a common spray bottle. Nozzle is drilled for hose and hose is heated and flared so it won't come out. Schrader valve is removed, not the fitting. I inverted a shock and put it back on the bike, then removed the other one and was able to pump the oil out by sitting (up and down) on the bike. Then with the shock back upright, I pumped in a little over 3 1/2 oz. (My shock held a total of 7 1/4th ounces of oil). I would add about an ounce, then pull the hose out and let the shock burp, till finished. The whole job was messy but not hard. I also put in 10w fork oil because I couldn't find 5w. This gives the bike a firmer but not uncomfortable ride.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Good thinking inverting the shock on the bike and using the spray bottle setup for the oil change. :smiley_th
I did mine by hand with the shocks off the bike, so it was a looong process.:doh:

So did you add any air to the shock after the oil change? I've found the ride on mine to be fine with 0 psi using 5w oil.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Good thinking inverting the shock on the bike and using the spray bottle setup for the oil change. :smiley_th
Yeah, that's a good idea!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Put 10 lbs in. The way I do it, is air up my air bottle to what ever I want then air up each shock. I loose very little air and can not over fill my shocks. Also I don't have to try to gauge the pressure in my shocks..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts