Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Rough and Tumble
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've got a chance to buy a 2001 vn 750 from a dealer where the owner left it behind, but they say it has an undiagnosed electric issue and the previous owner didn't want to pay to run it down, my question is if I drop 500 bucks on the bike where would I start after the battery? also since its been there for 3 years I'm sure the carbs and probably the tank need to be cleaned out really well, but what other issues should I look for once carbs and etc. have been done? I figure I'spend 5 on the bike then whatever else I spend is just an investment

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
First of all, any idea what the symptoms of the electrical issue were? Did the bike run? Was it a charging system problem? If the stator is bad the engine has to be pulled out to replace it. The Vulcan 750 has a very simple electrical system, the one exception being the igniter box. However, it is not known to fail often. If the bike looks good, and you can get it for $500, with a title, it's hard to go wrong, assuming you like working on things, and are not counting the cost of you own labor. If worse comes to worse, you should be able to recover the cost just from selling parts. The main thing to be careful about is dumping a bunch of money into it without knowing for sure what you are doing. Do as much as you can to make sure the engine and final drive are mechanically sound before spending a lot of money to repair electrical things.

·
Rough and Tumble
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, these are all questions I will ask the shop. I personaly know those guys, so I'm pretty sure they wouldn't dump a crappy bike on me (if they know what the issues are to start with.) I am totally into wrenching on stuff and have a fair understanding of how things fit together when I look at them and I am looking for a project. How would you determine if the engine and shaft are sound without being able to start it?

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
put the bike up on its center stand, and spin the rear wheel with the bike in gear.. the engine should turn over... go through all the gears in this method... as for the splines.. remove the rear wheel... its the only way to check them any ways.

·
Rough and Tumble
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cant post pics?

cant post the pics I have of this bike any tips fellas

·
Rough and Tumble
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
as far as dumping a bunch of money into into it, no worries I dont have any

·
2,527 Posts
You need a couple more posts before it will allow you to post pics. $500 sounds like a good deal, I'd take it if I had the chance.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
put the bike up on its center stand, and spin the rear wheel with the bike in gear.. the engine should turn over... go through all the gears in this method... as for the splines.. remove the rear wheel... its the only way to check them any ways.
slim did you forget about the positive neutral finder? :)

Bruiser, unless the tranny is already in 2nd gear or higher, you will only be able to try turning the engine over in first gear. The PNF prevents shifting into 2nd gear unless the rear wheel is already turning at some (unknown to me), speed.

You could also do a compression test or an engine leak down test.

Link to fergy`s spline lube, so you know what you are looking for :) :
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17274

·
Rough and Tumble
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
got it home today 200 bucks *no title* but since I work for a towing company we'll file a lien against it, and I'll have the title before I get it running

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
got it home today 200 bucks *no title* but since I work for a towing company we'll file a lien against it, and I'll have the title before I get it running
Sounds like a good deal to me! Nicely done!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts