Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Back when I was learning to fly helicopters, my instructors introduced me to something called "Chair Flying". This is exactly what it sounds like. You sit in a chair, position your hands and feet like you would if you were in a helicopter, and imagine flying around. You imagine the runway in front of you, what the scene looks like as you take off, what the horizon looks like as you bank into turns, and what the ground looks like as you're landing. I did it as much as they said to (at least once a day) and I noticed myself progressing much faster than the other students.

Now, as a certified flight instructor (CFI), I can tell exactly which students chair fly and which ones don't believe it works. The students that chair fly progress on average 3 times faster.

I decided to take this learning experience and see if it applies to motorcycling. It does. If I'm going to be off the bike for a few weeks due to weather, travel, etc. I "chair ride" about every other day for maybe 15 minutes. I assume the riding posture, close my eyes, and picture a gradual right turn and feel myself leaning. Then I imagine a tight right turn, "see" what it looks like, and feel it as I lean into it. I do the same for left turns. I imagine highway situations that require more or less throttle, down shifting, or panic breaking. I imagine how hard I have to squeeze the break handle in order to shorten stopping distance without locking up the tires. Then the next time I'm out on the road I'm really not that rustly. Every turn that I come upon has a reference to one I've imagined and so can be dealt with. It REALLY works.

Give it a shot if you haven't been riding for a while. Sit down in a chair that won't tip over from you leaning, close your eyes, assume riding position, and imagine a road, any road. Picture left and right, tight and gradual turns. Picture accelerating to get out of the way and do the motions with your hands and feet. I PROMISE the next time you go out you'll have already brushed off at least half of the rust.

Side note and funny story: my instructor said to practice this alone as you look kinda funny doing it. Chair riding isn't that bad as you look like your riding a motorcycle. Chair flying on the other hand, not so much. The "stick" that controls the heli comes right up between your legs. Without it there but with your hand in position, it might look a little odd, especially considering your eyes are closed. I know this because my girlfriend, who can apparently be quite stealthy, walked in on me one time and said, "What the HELL are you doing?!" It took me 25 minutes to prove to her "chair flying" was a real pilot practice...

·
Registered
668 Posts
My flight instructor told me the same thing too....and it's working!
visualizing things in your head helps a lot..i tend to see myself riding in my dream..it's awesome, but sometime the bike won't start then i get really really mad....i know it's funny but riding gets in your blood even in your dreams ;)

Laterz

·
Super Moderator
11,866 Posts
.........The "stick" that controls the heli comes right up between your legs. Without it there but with your hand in position, it might look a little odd, especially considering your eyes are closed. I know this because my girlfriend, who can apparently be quite stealthy, walked in on me one time and said, "What the HELL are you doing?!" It took me 25 minutes to prove to her "chair flying" was a real pilot practice.....

Well next time don't do it naked...lol

Visualization has always been a helpfull training aid , especialy in sports:
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/sport_psych/a/aa091700a.htm

Back when I roadraced , visualizing the course and picturing where you wish to shift, brake,and accellerate was a tool pretty much used by evey racer. You did not really need to hold your hands out and "assume the position" but merely SEE yourself doing it. However many did lean, move their hands to apply brakes or clutch ....and even make engine noises....

I think those out there that due to their local weather have been unable to ride , could benifit from such exercises , if for no other reason than quenching their psychological addiction....lol.

If you can go sit on your bike to do this. even better.

I do think there are many of us here , who have logged in giga-amounts of "flight hours" added to the fact that we never go more than 3-4 weeks without riding, never really feel we are getting "rusty", and that "Chair riding" as a learning or "recovery" tool is not needed.

But I do think those stuck with months off the bike and/or relitively new to riding can benifit from it.

Just keep your pants on.

KM

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
Very interesting.

·
Late to the party
321 Posts
>Nice...here's one with nicer scenery and a better POV angle:

Now those are some real twisties! There is a considerable amount of traffic in the Alps too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
WOW! What kind of mileage do you get on you're chair.

·
Registered
707 Posts
ive got to say thats pretty cool... never thought of that kind of thing...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I wish there were some roads like that close to me. I have to go looking for curves to get some practice out here on the praries. I`ll have to head west a hundred miles to the Crownest Pass and the Rockies in BC sometime this summer, for a ride like that. Thanks AJ and KM, I enjoyed the ride.

·
Registered
721 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I noticed that bikes out numbered cars about 3 or 4 to one in the alps also:wow:

·
Bat
161 Posts
OK, I quit! I can't compete with the damn Alps!!:doh:
Ah, not so fast, AJ....the Pacific Coast Highway does a pretty good job...the ups and downs are milder, but still there, and the twisties are every bit as challenging! It's usually about a 12 hour drive from Eureka to Stinson Beach, in a car, not pushing it, but relaxing and enjoying, and cussing at the switchbacks occasionally...they are tighter than you expect, sometimes, and be ready to shift down as soon as you are around the bend.

It continues from San Francisco clear down to San Diego if you like...but you'd be well advised to take an overnight break and enjoy some nice roadwork in Marin County environs for a day or so...ask where the Cheese Factory is for lunch. Nice back roads, Point Reyes National Seashore is great riding, if you're not in any hurry, and very beautiful. I never got tired of riding around there in a car, before I learned the joys of motorcycling, and Mt. Tamalpais will give you all the twisties you want, up and down, and along the ridge, too.
I would recommend those backroads of Marin to anyone who loves to ride!

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
What an awesome idea... I think I do it in my head anyways... without meaning to.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
i know it's funny but riding gets in your blood even in your dreams ;)
Ain't that the truth...
I was "resting my eyes" at work one night and the "daydream" I was having was me out on the bike. I was midway through a wide sweeping horseshoe bend, looking though the turn. I suddenly opened my eyes to find myself leaning in my chair and head turned staring point blank at my cubical wall.

Needless to say I was quite disappointed...

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Ain't that the truth...
I was "resting my eyes" at work one night and the "daydream" I was having was me out on the bike. I was midway through a wide sweeping horseshoe bend, looking though the turn. I suddenly opened my eyes to find myself leaning in my chair and head turned staring point blank at my cubical wall.

at least you didnt grab the brake and lay the bike down in your cube lol:beerchug:

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ain't that the truth...

That's hilarious!!! Although, you're supposed to be conscious when chair riding. :motorcycl :)

That reminds of a story when I was fresh out of college. I was working in this room at a table with a couple older dudes. The one guy, Freddie, was particularly interesting. One morning I notice him nodding off a few times, I ignore it. I'm reviewing my document and suddenly he leaps from his chair, runs top speed toward the wall, and crashes into it head first. He put a healthy head-sized dent in the drywall but doesn't fall! He stands there for a second, shakes the drywall dust off his head, then quickly walks out the door. He fell asleep, felt the chair start to tilt, it woke him up but he was already mid-stride. I've never laughed so hard at work! LOLOLOL!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts