Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 85 VN 700 That I puchased 2 months ago. It has a gel battey that was installed last year and iridium plugs.Last week the ground terminal came loose and battery went dead, I charged it and was ok for 2 days then when I went to start in morning it just clicked. Charged again and went to work,dead again. It runs ok till I shut it off then no start. I cleaned all connections then it ran ok for a day then dead again. Checked battery with a meter and had 12.13v,started bike and at idle had 12.18 v. As I throttled up meter reading went up to about 12.70v at 4000 rpm. went for a 5 mile ride and shut off and no start. I need bike to get to work.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Have the bat checked at the local parts store. It could be that the bat going dead has killed it totally.

Welcome.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
As I throttled up meter reading went up to about 12.70v at 4000 rpm. went for a 5 mile ride and shut off and no start.
That`s low voltage for 4K rpm. It should be up around 14+ volts.

Sounds like the r/r or stator are failing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

I tested the 3 wires from stator for resistance using digital meter set at 200
results :
1-2 = .8
1-3 = 1.3
2-3 = 1.3
PLEASE TELL ME I DON'T NEED STATOR !!

I put battery on 2 amp charge and will leave on overnight.When I checked it after 2 hrs it said fully charged so i checked with meter as it was pulsing and was at 14.4v , as pulse stopped, readings slowly started to drop. Is this normal ?

·
Registered
900 Posts
I tested the 3 wires from stator for resistance using digital meter set at 200
results :
1-2 = .8
1-3 = 1.3
2-3 = 1.3
PLEASE TELL ME I DON'T NEED STATOR !!

I put battery on 2 amp charge and will leave on overnight.When I checked it after 2 hrs it said fully charged so i checked with meter as it was pulsing and was at 14.4v , as pulse stopped, readings slowly started to drop. Is this normal ?
check your R/R first.. then the stator.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
When checking the stator, Check each wire of the stator to ground also. Engine off, meter set to ohm's, one meter lead to one stator wire and one meter lead to ground. If any of these leads read ohm's to ground, the stator has a ground in the windings or the leads and will not charge. Got to be replaced. You can also take a lamp with a 100 watt bulb (non florescent)and hook it to 2 of the three wires, just as you did with the ohm meter, and if the stator is good it will light the bulb with the engine running at a 3000+ rpm's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts