Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 1991 VN750 with (I think) a Jardine exhaust system. So both mufflers are on the right side. The bike came with the centre stand removed. When I tried re-installing it, the spring rubs on the rear cylinder exhaust where it crosses over.

I really want to get the centre stand back on but I will have to devise a stop for it so it doesn't come up as high in the "UP" position. Therefore I would like to know exactly where it is positioned on a stock 750 in the "UP" position...

1. What does it hit when stopped in the "UP" position? the Brake Torque bar?
2. Is the protruding "kick" part of the stand above or below the rear footpeg?
3. When the bike is upright, how far are the feet of the centre stand from the ground?

Thanks for any answers you can supply.

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
I just got a 1991 VN750 with (I think) a Jardine exhaust system. So both mufflers are on the right side. The bike came with the centre stand removed. When I tried re-installing it, the spring rubs on the rear cylinder exhaust where it crosses over.

I really want to get the centre stand back on but I will have to devise a stop for it so it doesn't come up as high in the "UP" position. Therefore I would like to know exactly where it is positioned on a stock 750 in the "UP" position...

3. When the bike is upright, how far are the feet of the centre stand from the ground?

Thanks for any answers you can supply.

Unfortunately the stop for the center stand is on the left stock exhaust pipe. Those with aftermarket exhausts need to fab their own somehow.

You should have the stand retract as high as you can without it touching anything other than the stop.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Knifemaker, that answers my first question and it explains why the previous owner removed the stand. I would still like to know the "stock" position of the stand so I can compare it with the highest retracted position that I can obtain. If there is too much difference, I may have to leave it off.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Ion mine, the center stand rests against the "goats belly" power chamber under the bike.

Below it. the hooled part of the stand curves just under the left exhaust where the cutout is for the heat shield but does not make contact.

It is tucked up under the bike...barely visible.

hope this photo helps:

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
I made a bracket out of some aluminum flat stock for stonepoet's bike. Basically just a "j" shape that pulls the center stand up as far as it will go. She hasn't had any problems with it rubbing or scraping the road. I chose to just bolt it to the left side where the stock muffler would bolt up. Put a bolt through the bracket and the peg mount and tighten it down with a nylock nut.

Now if you do it that way you won't need the spring on there as it is held up with the bracket. Also you will have to unbolt the bracket each and every time you want to use the stand. I suppose the same thing could be achieved with just using a bungee or a strap, but what fun is that.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of leaving the spring off and using a latch of some kind. I would only use the centre stand for cleaning and some maintenance, so undoing a bolt would not be a problem. You've been a great help already, but if anyone can post a closeup photo of their solution, it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
... on mine, the center stand rests against the "goats belly" power chamber under the bike.
Same here, the goat's belly has a rubber pad on it to catch the stand when it snaps up.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
here is mine with the vance and hines pipes just realized that it doesnt even hit the stop they sent with the pipes

i put my finger on the stop

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the great photos and explanations. It looks like I will rig up a stop of some sort, attached to the rear footrest bracket where the stock muffler was attached.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Let me add this. Be sure to have it as high as it will go.
I changed out my exhaust & I don't have the angle right.
So, my center stand is sitting a little low.
What a surprise I had when I started dragging on the ground
Earlier than normal.

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
Well, ideally if you only want it there for occasional maintanance....

I'd just leave it off. On my RD and my S2 I just made short pins to hold the stand so I could quickly install it or remove it. It sat in my garage with the tools.

They just add weight and decrease cornering clearance. No real need to have it on there unless you're going across the country and working on your bike some place other than home.
Not to mention that with no exhaust on the left side it's ugliness will not be hidden...;)

My Bonneville didn't even come with a centerstand.......

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
Aww man, almost got to see what a Darkside tire looks like on the VN.

I like to use the center stand when I fill up with gas, or sitting on the seat taking a break, as well as being handy for maintenance, spinning a tire, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts