Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just had to ask if anyone else has trouble putting their bike on the center stand. I feel like I am Retarded every time I try. Anybody else share my woes? or am I retarded?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Grab under the seat, put your FULL weight on the centerstand, and gently lean back. If you're over 150lbs, it should roll right up on it.

Good Luck!

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
^ Yep, thats sounds about like the way I used to do it....
Something like the left hand resting on the handlebar, right foot on the stand, right hand under the seat and a quick stand on the right foot with hard uplift on the seat...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts
What they said, plus be sure to rock the bike gently from one side to the other to be sure both the centerstand feet are on the floor before you start to lift. Most of the work is done by the leg. Practice makes it easy after a while. I'll soon be eligible for Medicare!

·
Registered
509 Posts
The Center Stand

Standing on the left side of the bike, left hand on the grip by the clutch right hand on the grab rail under the seat, right foot on the centerstand, lift with the right hand, stand with on your right foot on the centerstand. Should bring it right up on the stand. I am on medicare.

Ride saftly, Enjoy th ride
Mcneuby

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Standing on the left side of the bike, left hand on the grip by the clutch right hand on the grab rail under the seat, right foot on the centerstand, lift with the right hand, stand with on your right foot on the centerstand. Should bring it right up on the stand. I am on medicare.
Ride saftly, Enjoy th ride
Mcneuby
Ha, ha, Since I'm 74 as you can guess, I've been on it a while, and I can tell you, you better have a supplemental Ins. to go with it...lol...

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I had the hardest time putting mine on the center stand the first time I tried it!! After doing it the right way it was so easy. So like everyone says, make sure both feet are touching the ground then push down with your right leg and pull up with your right hand. Gets so much easier after you get the hang of it! :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had the hardest time putting mine on the center stand the first time I tried it!! After doing it the right way it was so easy. So like everyone says, make sure both feet are touching the ground then push down with your right leg and pull up with your right hand. Gets so much easier after you get the hang of it! :)
Same story here. If I can do it- you can. At 5'6" and 135 lbs I assumed I was a wimp the few times I tried it. Then a thought occurred to me- have I been trying this while the bike was off and in 1st gear? Yup. Much easier when you aren't fighting the engine.

Only thing I learned past that is to make it easier on your back- with the center stand's legs planted, your right foot on the stand, and your right hand on the rear wheel well, start to pull back but then use the straightening of your right leg to do most the work while you lean back. Saves the shoulder/back.

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
Tip, do NOT grab the seat, it's held in place with a plastic tab and two screws. Pull too hard and snap, busted seat. Grab the frame rail behind the seat instead.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
lol did YOU grab the seat while trying to put the bike on the center stand EQ?

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Tip, do NOT grab the seat, it's held in place with a plastic tab and two screws. Pull too hard and snap, busted seat. Grab the frame rail behind the seat instead.
Yeah EQ's right, I really didn't mean the seat per-sey, but under the it on the metal part, didn't think you could get hold of the actual seat...
Don't forget, I have to remember stuff, and also have CRS...lol...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tend to side with liberty lol. I havent been grabbing the seat. I will try that next time. Thanks for the input all.

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
^ LOL!!!! Just messin' with you buddy. It's one of those things where, if you do it once, you got it. If you're apprehensive, get a couple buddies to stand on the other side of the bike when you try. That way if it tips, they can grab it. Just remember, it's more pushing down with your legs than it is lifting up with your arms. Keep us posted...

·
Now what
400 Posts
How I get my bike onto the center stand:

Face the side of the bike so that my left hand can hold the grip and right hand can grab the bar located under the seat. I make sure there’s a couple of feet clearance behind the bike if I’m in the garage. Right foot presses the center stand down. As the left foot of the stand touches, I push the bike up until I can feel the right foot touch down and I press a little harder on the center stand. Up until now, everything’s been going nice and controlled, one-step-at-a-time. Now I take it up a notch. It’s leap-of-faith time. In one movement, I put most, if not all of my weight on the center stand and pull up with my right hand. The bike goes up and back ending with a little skid to a stop. My left hand doesn’t really pull hard on the grip; it’s just there to make me feel better I guess. I rely on the right foot, leg, arm and hand to get the job done.

How I get my bike off the center stand:

If I left the side stand down after I put the bike up on the center stand, I raise it. I get on the bike the way I always do. Grab the hand brake, left foot on the peg, lean over the handle bars, right leg over and up I go. I don’t tempt fate by throwing my leg over the top, just nice and smooth. I don’t know how much momentum it would take to tip the bike over to the right while getting on, and I don’t want to find out. Anyway, I grab the clutch, lean back and launch myself forward, push on the handle bar and the bike rolls off the center stand. As soon as I feel it start to drop, I grab the brake and get both feet out to balance myself.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
How I get my bike onto the center stand:
Face the side of the bike so that my left hand can hold the grip and right hand can grab the bar located under the seat. I make sure there’s a couple of feet clearance behind the bike if I’m in the garage. Right foot presses the center stand down. As the left foot of the stand touches, I push the bike up until I can feel the right foot touch down and I press a little harder on the center stand. Up until now, everything’s been going nice and controlled, one-step-at-a-time. Now I take it up a notch. It’s leap-of-faith time. In one movement, I put most, if not all of my weight on the center stand and pull up with my right hand. The bike goes up and back ending with a little skid to a stop. My left hand doesn’t really pull hard on the grip; it’s just there to make me feel better I guess. I rely on the right foot, leg, arm and hand to get the job done.
IMHO very well explained Ironman...:smiley_th...:smiley_th...:smiley_th...

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Wow... Ironman... you've been here since June 2004 and only have 398 posts? You're a quiet one indeed!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Same story here. If I can do it- you can. At 5'6" and 135 lbs I assumed I was a wimp the few times I tried it. Then a thought occurred to me- have I been trying this while the bike was off and in 1st gear? Yup. Much easier when you aren't fighting the engine.
It can be worse than that. Neutral is the gear for this. If you have the bike in first and you start at the wrong point in the engine's cycle, you can hit compression just before the wheel comes off the ground, when the bike has a lot of speed. This will produce sudden hard engine braking and it doesn't take much further confluence of events at that point to get an opportunity to practice the correct technique for picking the bike up. :doh:

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
OK, we have so much snow and ice on the ground that the bike hasn't run in at least a month and sea foam not withstanding, I need to start it today and warm it up. I have read all the preceding posts and I am inspired to let her run on the center stand. Never accomplished this on my own before so if I have success I will announce my joy here later. If not, you may never hear from me again. I will hide in a dark closet in embarasment. :doh:

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
YAAAAAY!!! :lockd: :smiley_th :beerchug:

I can stand proud and stay out of the closet. Took a couple of cranks till she started but what a lovely sound that was when she purrred up to 2K with the choke on, and when she warmed up ----- visions of green grass. Then reality came back and I saw that white crap all over my driveway. Next month is SPRING. Meanwhile there's talk of more snow this week.

Thank you all for the step by step advice. It worked.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts