Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like such a retard asking this but I can't seem to get it...I need to get the wheels off of my baby and I can't seem to get the center stand up by myself....Any tips/tricks?

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Standing on left side of bike, put your right foot on the center stand, grab left rear sissy bar/turn signal rail with your right hand.

At the same time, push down and forward with your right foot, and pull up and back with your right hand.

Should pop right up there for you.

It's technique, not strength.

Jon

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Well said Jon, just technique. It might help a little if your left hand is on the left grip and you can pull back with it as you rock the bike back and on to the centerstand. The bike needs to be in neutral, or you'll have to squeeze the clutch to release the gear box and let the rear wheel turn just enough to rock the bike back. If you do it all in one quick motion, the momentum will help rock the bike up onto the stand as well. Try to do it slow, and it will take every muscle in your body and may not be enough

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I'm 6 foot about 230 and jerk it right up there. I have shown much smaller people how to do it just as easily. You have to treat it like a lever, once you get it going, momentum will do the rest.

Jon

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
After owning my KZ1000P fully dressed, and it taking 3-4 tries every time and all 260+ lbs and every muscle I had, first time I threw my 750 on the centerstand, I felt like I nearly threw her over backwards! Same technique, just a lot less bike. I love this bike!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks a lot Jon. I'll have to give it a try in the morning. It definitely just started raining :-( The stealership was thinking of putting on D404's as well. Do you like them?

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Hey thanks a lot Jon. I'll have to give it a try in the morning. It definitely just started raining :-( The stealership was thinking of putting on D404's as well. Do you like them?
I like my D404's, but in all fairness, I have not ridden on the Metz's. Lots of rain grooves in the roads here in Florida and the D404 tread pattern deals with it well.

Jon

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
The guys above did a good job I think describing the basic process for how the centerstand action works.

It really is a matter of technique, not overall body strength. Once you get it right, you could even rock a Goldwing up on its centerstand with no problem.

Speaking of centerstands, this is a feature that I'm continually amazed that doesn't appear on other bikes. As we Vulcaneers know, it's an incredibly useful and convenient thing to have, and also a great selling feature. To me, this helps to show just how "watered down" a lot of the newer bikes really are. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I think for right now the only other cruiser that has a centerstand (stock, anyway) is the Yamaha Vmax (which of course is not a new design, but is another "oldie but goodie" like our VN750).

Except for Yamaha's FZ6, I'm not aware of any rice rockets that have one, except for high-end models (e.g., FJR, Goldwing).

The above explains (but only in part) why I'm perfectly content with our 750 cc bike, and why I'm not out shopping--or even looking--at other bikes. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
The guys above did a good job I think describing the basic process for how the centerstand action works.

It really is a matter of technique, not overall body strength. Once you get it right, you could even rock a Goldwing up on its centerstand with no problem.

Speaking of centerstands, this is a feature that I'm continually amazed that doesn't appear on other bikes. As we Vulcaneers know, it's an incredibly useful and convenient thing to have, and also a great selling feature. To me, this helps to show just how "watered down" a lot of the newer bikes really are. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I think for right now the only other cruiser that has a centerstand (stock, anyway) is the Yamaha Vmax (which of course is not a new design, but is another "oldie but goodie" like our VN750).

Except for Yamaha's FZ6, I'm not aware of any rice rockets that have one, except for high-end models (e.g., FJR, Goldwing).

The above explains (but only in part) why I'm perfectly content with our 750 cc bike, and why I'm not out shopping--or even looking--at other bikes. :eek:
I agree.

The VMAX and a V65 are two other bikes I would consider. Scared of the V65 as parts are hard to get since its been out of production so long. Though I like the VMAX, I prefer the styling of our vn750's.

Jon

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
You asked about Hondas....

I think if you really did your homework, you'd find that the quality and workmanship on Hondas is as good as--or better than--any other brand of bike out there. Some of them are overpriced, though, compared to their contemporaries from other brands (e.g., the Honda 599 vs the Suzuki SV650).

Honda's Shadow line of cruisers is widely regarded (and rightfully so) as some of the most reliable motorcycles ever built--regardless of price.

But compare any of their newer cruisers to our Vulcan 750--and you'll see that our bike has so much more for the money--and is so much easier to live with, day after day.

The V65 was (and still is) an awesome bike--but I guess you may already know that bike had a top end oil supply problem. As a result, camshafts had a chronically short life in that first-generation Magna.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
D404's - good tires, though I prefer my metzlers. I got ~10k miles out of them on my old bike (GS550 - probably easier on tires than the vulcan). Did well in the rain, but I prefer the somewhat more rounded profile of the metzlers.

If you try the aformentioned ideas and still have an issue getting the bike on the centerstand (some do), roll the back tire onto a 2*4 then re-try. That makes it SUPER easy to do.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
You asked about Hondas....

I think if you really did your homework, you'd find that the quality and workmanship on Hondas is as good as--or better than--any other brand of bike out there. Some of them are overpriced, though, compared to their contemporaries from other brands (e.g., the Honda 599 vs the Suzuki SV650).

Honda's Shadow line of cruisers is widely regarded (and rightfully so) as some of the most reliable motorcycles ever built--regardless of price.

But compare any of their newer cruisers to our Vulcan 750--and you'll see that our bike has so much more for the money--and is so much easier to live with, day after day.

The V65 was (and still is) an awesome bike--but I guess you may already know that bike had a top end oil supply problem. As a result, camshafts had a chronically short life in that first-generation Magna.

There is a fix for the top end oil problem using an external line and some fittings drilled into the cylinder. This fixed the problem but not a task for everyone. My friend has a V45, 700 V4, 6 speed, except for the foot pegs being too far back for me, what a nice ride. Incredible smooth power.

Agreed about our bikes completely. Nice having a gas gauge as an example.

Jon

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same problem but it is actually very simple, stand on the side of bike with the center stand push down with your foot ,grab the side bar under your seat and pull back all in one motion the bike will basically go up by itself with very little effort

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
center-stand

I feel like such a retard asking this but I can't seem to get it...I need to get the wheels off of my baby and I can't seem to get the center stand up by myself....Any tips/tricks?
It's like riding a bicycle for the first time -- once you do it, you realize, "Oh, yeah, of course!"

My 2006 VN 750 is the 4th bike I've owned but only the 1st one that I regularly put on the center-stand. I didn't do it on previous bikes because I simply hadn't learned the technique from anyone, and I couldn't figure it out on my own. I finally learned the technique by reading postings on this web site. I tried their advice, and immediately: voilà!

·
Registered
415 Posts
The other thing, if your bike has been lowered it will be tougher to put her up on the center stand. Roll the rear tire up onto a piece of 2x8 this will allow you to get it up there easier. I have a gravel driveway and sometimes need to use a piece of 2x8 under the center stand i have to use one under the rear wheel then as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is one of the easiest bikes to get on the center stand.I had a Gl1100
goldwing that was a heavy bike. I had to clean and oil the center stand to keep it moving freely or it wouldn't spring up.Being under the bike it gets alot of road dust,water, etc.About Hondas, everyone I owned has been cold natured, wouldn't start easily in cold weather, unlike our 750s.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,675 Posts
my honda cm400t will start on cold days with no problems. it just fires right up.
honda shadow 750 was my first choice to get after my cm400t. that was until i sat on one. i didn't like it. it was to hard to get it to stand off the side kick stand. then i sat on vn750, and that stood up way easier. also it fit me better than th shadow. among other things...shaft drive, and a gas gauge.

·
"ya can't live forever"
321 Posts
Hey Mikey !!! I have a video that shows you how to do it........but I can't seem to get it to upload. If you PM me with your e-mail address I'll be able to send it to you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts