Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
That was a real challenge for me, but I finally got to where I can work it. I am 5'3" at 120 lbs. I use both hands on the rail the foot on the stand and pull up and back at the same time. Oh yes I put all 120 on the stand. I take a break afterwards. LOL

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Before you try it can you sign a waiver for me stating that I am not responsible for any damage you may incurr? LOL After a couple of times you will find it taks little effort. :smiley_th
I'm actually not that concerned with hurting myself so much as hurting Sable...I heal! LOL!!

And for all the hotshots out there tryin' it naked, can I please just take your word for it? Really there's no need to prove that one, I believe you already.

I feel like I'll be alright, I'm 5' 9" 185 pounds and in good shape. I can always call my twin to stand by while I try it a few times. He's usually lookin' for an excuse to get away from the wife anyway.

Thanks all for helping out and gettin' it done yet again,
LP

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the explanations and the discussion on this. It has had me wondering, too. This help and information makes this a great site.

·
Registered
707 Posts
only thing i can stress is to make sure both feet of the stand are on the ground before you try.... it makes a whole world of difference..... good luck man.. once you do it its easy as cake..

·
Now what
400 Posts
Here's something I wrote up a while ago.

How I get my bike onto the center stand:

I face the side of the bike so that my left hand can hold the grip and right hand can grab the bar located under the seat. I make sure there’s a couple of feet clearance behind the bike if I’m in the garage. Right foot presses the center stand down. As the left pad of the stand touches, I push the bike up until I can feel the right pad touch down and I press a little harder on the center stand. Up until now, everything’s been going nice and controlled, one-step-at-a-time. Now I take it up a notch. It’s leap-of-faith time. In one movement, I put most, if not all of my weight on the center stand and pull up with my right hand. The bike goes up and back ending with a little skid to a stop. My left hand doesn’t really pull hard on the grip; it’s just there to make me feel better I guess. I rely on the right foot, leg, arm, hand and mostly my overweight status to get the job done.

How I get my bike off the center stand:

If I left the side stand down after I put the bike up on the center stand, I raise it. I get on the bike the way I always do. Grab the handle bars and the hand brake, left foot on the peg, lean over the handle bars, right leg up and there I am. I don’t tempt fate by throwing my leg over the top, just nice and smooth. I don’t know how much momentum it would take to tip the bike over to the right while getting on, and I don’t want to find out. Anyway, I grab the clutch, lean back and launch myself forward, push on the handle bar and the bike rolls off the center stand. As soon as I feel it start to drop, I grab the brake; I already have both feet out to balance myself.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Good thinkin' Ironman, maybe I should've asked how to get the bike OFF the center stand once its on there, especially since I'll apparently be doing this by myself from time to time.

Thanks for the good info man...

·
Registered
96 Posts
To get the bike OFF the center stand I just hop on the bike (stradle, like i'm riding) and use my feet and a little momentum to roll the bike forward. it rolls off the center stand no problem.

i had trouble putting it ON the center stand the first time and I discovered i was trying to lift WAY too much from the grab bar with my hand and wasn't pushing down on the center stand lever much at all. if you put most of your weight on the center stand lever with your foot and pull the grab bar, it'll go up. Have a buddy stand on the other side if you're nervous about it falling over. Definitely make sure BOTH center stand feet are touching the ground before you put weight on it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I use an assistant, i am un able to do mine by myself, not very strong, sometimes i will run it down the driveway in backwards motion, only to find the stand skids along and over rides my weight.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I`m a big guy, 6 feet tall and #300, and I had trouble the first few times I tried to use the centerstand. However, as others have said, once you get it up a few times it becomes a lot easier. I don`t think size and weight is near as big a factor in getting the bike up as is your technique. Keep trying, you will get the hang of it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
its all aobut putting ALL of your weight on the center stand lever with your foot. i feel like someone who weighs 130 pounds could do it if they know what theyre doing ya know?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'll echo what others have said here. It's more about making sure that you put the majority of your weight on your right foot (pressing down on the center stand) and making sure that *both* feet of the center stand are on the ground. When you first take hold of the bike (left hand on the grip, right hand on the grab bar) and press down on the center stand, odds are that only the left foot of the stand will be on the ground. It's a little bit of a leap of faith at first to push the bike *away* from you so that the right foot of the center stand makes contact with the ground. Once both feet of the center stand are on the ground, move all of your weight onto the foot pressing down on the center stand and lift up and a little to the rear with your right hand. The bike should come up and backwards a little bit onto the stand.

I've found that this is also a lot easier if you park the bike facing slightly uphill (I always look for the gas pump where I can do that).

Getting it off the center stand is as easy as hopping onto the bike and rocking it forward.

--FA

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
And you should keep using your right foot! Fire Ant was talking about the left foot of the center stand.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Ok, I tried it and it worked like a charm. With this sites track record I'm not surprised. I put my right foot on the center stand, left hand on left handle bar and right hand under the seat. I gently pushed the bike away from me while stretching my left foot out behind me to balance the bike. Once I felt the right foot of the center stand touch the ground I pushed down with all my weight on the center stand and up she went with no complaints. Then I sat on her, coaxed her forward, she jumped off the stand and I applied the front brake. I've done it a few times since then and you're all correct, the technique requires a little faith at first but then you get used to it, I have no problem now. I have a bit more peace of mind on the road now too. I don't fear her braking down 100 miles away and me not being able to work on her out there. My tool box is full and I can get her on the center stand my self so I should be good. Provided its something I can fix of course. Anyway, thanks yet again for all the valuable help.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Good to hear ya got it figured out :smiley_th

One thing I always do, after coming down from the centerstand, is to double check and be sure the stand is completely up.

·
Late to the party
321 Posts
I've put mine up on the center stand many times, after learning the proper technique from a video a year or two ago. Now, what are the gotchas if you are going to put it up on the centerstand on a board to change the tires... spline lube... etc? SOP or does it require a different trick or some help.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Good job! Glad you have the hang of it now. I put it on the center stand every time I fill up for gas, just b/c I feel like I can get more gas into the tank that way.

--FA

·
Registered
43 Posts
LibertyPilot - Hear this - So I am reading this thread and Im wondering does my bike even have a center stand --lol - but true - ever since I had her I have always used the side stand. So I do see she had a center stand and I try my skills on her - man I tell you when I Pushed the center stand down - My heart is pounding as I move her away from me wondering did the other side of the stand touch or is she gonna take a dump , I chickened out and Pulled her back towards me hmmm I shore up some more courage and try it all over again - I feel both legs of the stand in place and I put all my little weight on the stand ---hmmm Now I almost feel I am gonna take a dump along with her - so I stopped - I realised what I was doing wrong - My handle bar was totally to the left - I tried all over again but this time I ensured my handle was straight as well - and wooo I got her on the center stand

21 - 40 of 42 Posts