Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I live by myself and as such, need to get a tad creative when doing certain things around the house. I got pretty good at listening to that little voice in my head that says, "Nah dude, you're probably gonna die if you go any further." That being said, I wanted to wrench on Sable the other day but couldn't figure a way to get her on the center stand all by my onesies. I tried pinning the stand to the concrete with my left foot, gripping the rear tire with both hands from behind and pulling up and back at the same time. I know I can move her weight by myself but she felt really unstable. Any suggestions?

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Ok so I live by myself and as such, need to get a tad creative when doing certain things around the house. I got pretty good at listening to that little voice in my head that says, "Nah dude, you're probably gonna die if you go any further." That being said, I wanted to wrench on Sable the other day but couldn't figure a way to get her on the center stand all by my onesies. I tried pinning the stand to the concrete with my left foot, gripping the rear tire with both hands from behind and pulling up and back at the same time. I know I can move her weight by myself but she felt really unstable. Any suggestions?
Face bike on left side, left hand on left handle bar grip, right hand on seat rail grab bar, push down on centerstand with right foot while lifting seat rail and pulling back on handle bar. put most of you weight on the stand. :smiley_th

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Face bike on left side, left hand on left handle bar grip, right hand on seat rail grab bar, push down on centerstand with right foot while lifting seat rail and pulling back on handle bar. put most of you weight on the stand. :smiley_th
Yup....and I can get it down with wearing sandles even.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Was hoping someone else would be having this same problem and post the question. LP, I have trouble doing it with help! Bike always felt unstable and like it might go down. Will try this method when I get home.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've never been able to get mine to lift up on the center stand either. I'm not a small guy and my job is quite physical with a lot of heavy lifting. So I'm not a Barny Fife type of character.
Yet I've never come close to getting it up on the stand. Then again, I've not really has a serious reason to want it on the stand either. Whenever I've tried it was just for giggles and not for a real need. Perhaps I haven't had enough motivation to do it yet.
So to this point, the center stand has just been a thingy hanging down from underneath.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I've never been able to get mine to lift up on the center stand either. I'm not a small guy and my job is quite physical with a lot of heavy lifting. So I'm not a Barny Fife type of character.
Yet I've never come close to getting it up on the stand. Then again, I've not really has a serious reason to want it on the stand either. Whenever I've tried it was just for giggles and not for a real need. Perhaps I haven't had enough motivation to do it yet.
So to this point, the center stand has just been a thingy hanging down from underneath.
Lifting the bike onto the centerstand can be a huge challenge the first time. I know!! Here are a couple of tips I used with my Vmax and GoldWing which were a lot heavier than the Vulcan:

1. Follow the procedure offered by Lance: ""Face bike on left side, left hand on left handle bar grip, right hand on seat rail grab bar push down on centerstand with right foot ----- (add a step here) while lifting seat rail and pulling back on handle bar. put most of you weight on the stand""

Add this step: while you push down on centerstand with right foot carefully and slowly tilt the bike away from you until you feel the right leg of the centerstand touch the ground to match the left one. This can be un-nerving but it works! The right leg of the center stand will prevent the bike from falling on its right side. This ensures the bike is flat and level as you lift it onto the centerstand.

2. Prior to attempting to lift the bike onto the center stand ride the rear wheel only onto a 12" piece of 2" x 6." If you wish you can cut one end of the wood at an angle/bevel to make it more like a mini-ramp. Using this piece of wood will give you more leverage and make it easier to lift the bike. Caution if you're short: riding onto the wood will make your bike 2" taller.

3. Wear supportive boots/shoes with good grip! Leave the side stand down as a safety measure. Have someone with you to steady the bike if anything goes awry.

I'm 5'7" 150 lbs, 67 years old, not too strong and this works for me. Once you do it the first time everything will click and it will become easier.

Good luck!

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Yup....and I can get it down with wearing sandles even.
I can do it bare foot! lol

Seriously, just like they said. Once you do it you'll be like :doh:
5'10" 195lbs. ( not muscle:) )

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
It doesn't take alot of effort to get the bike on the center stand. Just gotta get the hang of it.

HERE is a video of getting the Vulcan on the center stand.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm pretty sure I get it, I just want to make sure before I try it. What's the "seat rail grab bar"?

Nevermind, I saw the vid. That doesn't seem too tough, I just hope I don't push her over tryin' it.

Thanks fellaz

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I just hope I don't push her over tryin' it
When you first get the legs of the center stand to touch the ground, rock the bike side to side a little, to be sure both legs are touching the ground.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
In you case since you don't use it it would be a great place to hang a gremlin bell. :smiley_th

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
I'm pretty sure I get it, I just want to make sure before I try it. What's the "seat rail grab bar"?

Nevermind, I saw the vid. That doesn't seem too tough, I just hope I don't push her over tryin' it.

Thanks fellaz
Before you try it can you sign a waiver for me stating that I am not responsible for any damage you may incurr? LOL After a couple of times you will find it taks little effort. :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
If I ever get to where I can do it solo, I could probably do it nude, but I ain't gonna!

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
Libertypilot I feel like you do, I still do not feel comfortable with lifting the bike. One way to cheat the process, is at least at home, I but a one inch or more board under the rear tire. Roll the rear tire up on the board, put down the side kick stand, and get off the bike. Then pull the bike up onto the center stand, less weight and easier to control.
I never feel confident in getting the bike up without the board. After the bike is up the you can pull the board from under the rear tire.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Some things the world ain't ready for!

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Libertypilot I feel like you do, I still do not feel comfortable with lifting the bike. One way to cheat the process, is at least at home, I but a one inch or more board under the rear tire. Roll the rear tire up on the board, put down the side kick stand, and get off the bike. Then pull the bike up onto the center stand, less weight and easier to control.
I never feel confident in getting the bike up without the board. After the bike is up the you can pull the board from under the rear tire.
Reverse of that is a big help for rear wheel removal. Put the board under the center stand & it gives the rear wheel more clearance for an easier removal. Axle nuts will clear the exhaust.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts