Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know this is gonna make me look like a 100 pound dweeb, but does anybody have any pointers as to getting the bike up on its center stand? I couldn't get my first two bikes up either, and no one has ever given me any pointers as to the method required to do this alone. I can lift my 62 pound daughter over my head, so I know that I have at least some muscles in my arms. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Ern.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Face the left side of the bike. Left hand grip in left hand. Right hand beneath that curved chromy bit below the passenger seat. Depress the center stand until it begins to make contact with the ground. Bring your weight to bear on the center stand and a gentle lift with your right hand with finish the deed. (Left hand is just to steady yourself)

Only once have I raised it solely by tromping on the stand. It takes an almost laughable amount of lift by your right hand to make the process simple. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I'm gonna have to try that. I have had my bike for about 10 months now and have not yet attempted to put it on the center stand. I always have my hubby do that for me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've never posted here before, but I picked up a like new '94 VN750 to replace my Softail I had to sell due to employment changes, good news is the 750 is a neat little bike, I got a great new job, and finally someone has explained how that center stand works!!! and that technique really really worked. NOW for the De-goat with the Scootworks kit today!

BTW, isn't this the same engine that's in the Kaw. Mule just detuned in the Mule 750?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Obviously there are a bunch of much more VN750 savy people here, but this is the "term" for the exhaust chamber/cat. converter that is under the bike. It is something that is not typical on most cruisers - most the the 750 seems that way. Good and bad points. But the bike rates high in bang for the buck. This $60 kit is one of several methods you can use to remove what they call here the "goat belly" and the key to a more "cruiser" sound check that out here on this board. If you like the way this bike doesn't sound, then leave it alone. To me from first time on it, and It sounds like an ATV.

·
Registered
198 Posts
To put the bike on the center stand in my garage, I put a piece of one-inch board under the rear tire and pull the bike up on the stand with no problem. And I am a 140 pound light-weight. That extra one inch of rear-wheel elevation that the board provides does the trick. I cannot get it up on the stand any other way.

·
Registered
130 Posts
RepairmanSki said:
Face the left side of the bike. Left hand grip in left hand. Right hand beneath that curved chromy bit below the passenger seat. Depress the center stand until it begins to make contact with the ground. Bring your weight to bear on the center stand and a gentle lift with your right hand with finish the deed. (Left hand is just to steady yourself)

Only once have I raised it solely by tromping on the stand. It takes an almost laughable amount of lift by your right hand to make the process simple. Let us know how it goes.

Does your right hand go on the left or right side of the bike? I've heard/seen folks use either side just curious what you use. Hell i could never get my 440 on the stand easily. I'd have to shove the stand into a sidewalk groove, grab both bars, yank real hard, get it on the stand, fall on my butt.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
DachWuff said:
Does your right hand go on the left or right side of the bike?
I keep both hands on the left side of the bike. Once you're pushing against the stand and lifting up on the passenger grab rail the motion should feel like you are stretching something between your foot and hand.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
RepairmanSki said:

Great explanation. Exactly the way I do it as well...could not be easier and any less effort doing it this way.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well dang it! Good to see that some can do it. I still can't. I may try the 2x4 under the back. When I put weight on the center stand, the bike leans overmore. Wish someone had a video of this. If I ever get it to work, I'll make a video.

Just to get this right, I have my left foot on the stand, and I'm putting all my weight on it, and I'm pulling up on the passenger hand grip/chrome thing with my right hand. Maybe I shouldn't worry about the final drive. I've never checked it, and have 17K on the speedo.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dan - Thanks a bunch! Got a 2x4 under the back tire, and then I could feel the bike wanting to go up when I put my weight on the center stand. Still not pretty enough for video. Maybe after some practice I can get it up without the wood. (Can I say that here? :) )

·
Now what
400 Posts
How I get my bike onto the center stand:

I face the side of the bike so that my left hand can hold the grip and right hand can grab the bar located under the seat. I make sure there’s a couple of feet clearance behind the bike if I’m in the garage. Right foot presses the center stand down. As the left pad of the stand touches, I push the bike up until I can feel the right pad touch down and I press a little harder on the center stand. Up until now, everything’s been going nice and controlled, one-step-at-a-time. Now I take it up a notch. It’s leap-of-faith time. In one movement, I put most, if not all of my weight on the center stand and pull up with my right hand. The bike goes up and back ending with a little skid to a stop. My left hand doesn’t really pull hard on the grip; it’s just there to make me feel better I guess. I rely on the right foot, leg, arm, hand and mostly my overweight status to get the job done.

How I get my bike off the center stand:

If I left the side stand down after I put the bike up on the center stand, I raise it. I get on the bike the way I always do. Grab the handle bars and the hand brake, left foot on the peg, lean over the handle bars, right leg up and there I am. I don’t tempt fate by throwing my leg over the top, just nice and smooth. I don’t know how much momentum it would take to tip the bike over to the right while getting on, and I don’t want to find out. Anyway, I grab the clutch, lean back and launch myself forward, push on the handle bar and the bike rolls off the center stand. As soon as I feel it start to drop, I grab the brake; I already have both feet out to balance myself.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I've got over-the-seat mounted saddle bags and that makes getting the bike up on the center stand a bit more tricky to pull off (harder to get to the grabrail) but once ya get the hang of it, it's not too bad.

If ya need to practice, try and make sure ya got someone there to give ya a hand if the bike starts to tip away from you.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ironman - I never thought of putting my left foot on the peg when I get on. Bet it's easier to clear the seat with your right foot. I've been known to make a trip to WalMart, strap my stuff to the passenger seat, just to kick it off when I throw my leg over. I'm going to start trying it your way...

·
Now what
400 Posts
Yeah, somebody else told me about that. Kind of like getting on a horse. Makes it a lot easier to clear the sissy bar, especially if your legs are a tad short :smiley_th Of course, it works great when the bike's on the side stand too.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Huh, never thought of putting foot on the peg first. Usualy I just kind of drag my knee along the seat, and my shin ontop of the sissy bar to get on. Or if I had the back loaded, i'd just grab my knee and hoist it up to slide on. But I've got some range there, i usualy setp over movie stantions like the Big Show entering the ring. =)

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
The reason some people do it on the right side is due to the design of their center stand. If you look at ours, you will see that a small foot pad is on the left and just the bike rest part is on the right. The design of that foot pad is the key. Your right arm and your leg supply the needed oomph to get the bike on the center stand. It shouldn't take much effort. I would imagine it is rather awkward to try and reach over the bike to put your right hand under the fender to grip and lift.
Once I learned the trick, even my Dad's Goldwing was no problem!!!

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
If you want some serious fun, try putting it on the centerstand with a 2x12 under the stand. :BLAM:

It really makes a difference if you're wearing some thick soled boots. My first bike had the side stand busted so I always used the centerstand until I welded up the other right before I sold it. So I got lots of practice.

·
Registered
198 Posts
CEGODSEY:
>>>>I can get it up without the wood<<<<<

Ha-Ha- yeah you can say that here. Glad to hear the board under the rear wheel worked. Without that it is impossible for me to get the bike up on the centerstand. It doesn't look pretty when I do it either, but at least it works!
dan

1 - 20 of 20 Posts