Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on my 04 750 that I can’t get running (spark looks weak even when jumping the coils to the battery). was checking out some of the wiring and found that the PO hard wired a new regular and stator on to the bike. One of the regulator’s wires was apparently not crimped on very well and it looks like it was arcing on another one of the wires (wires weren’t even individually taped they were just bundled up together and taped up) and I have no idea if it’s even wired right cus the regulator has different colors than the bikes wiring. Also unsure about the stators wiring for the same reason. Checked the resistance for the pickup coils and they test good. Checked the resistance on the cdi and only readings I got were +3-6 3-2 and 3-10 (from what I’m seeing in the manual, it’s no good). So my question is, could the shotty wiring possibly have wrecked my cdi? And if anyone has a colored wiring diagram I would really appreciate some pics or a link, would really hate to put on a new cdi just for it to possibly get fried lol and any other insight would be appreciated as well

·
Registered
10,315 Posts

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
The three yellow stator wires can be connected to the RR in any order.

Sounds like it might be a MOSFET regulator, which has really simple wiring. What colors do you see on the RR wiring?

If it's wired correctly, it wouldn't affect the CDI.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I seen that post but the link requires “access” and the picture isn’t very legible when blow up on my phone screen. Here’s a couple pics of the wiring, the wire on the far right is the one that was disconnected
Hood Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not really sure where it goes, I think it went somewhere on the other side of the battery box. I’ll get a better look at it all tomorrow and get better pics

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
On your RR, after the butt connector there's a black/ yellow stripe wire. What wire on the RR does that connect to? Looks like maybe the gray?

Edit... That butt connector looks melted.

On the stock wiring black/yellow is a ground.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Not really sure where it goes, I think it went somewhere on the other side of the battery box. I’ll get a better look at it all tomorrow and get better pics
Definitely need to know where that goes.

Am I correct in assuming those three yellows on the left are stator wires?

Those three yellows should connect with the yellows on the RR.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure where the black/yellow wire goes but will check that tomorrow, but yes it definitely looks like it’s been melted/burned a bit. And yes the 3 yellow wires are coming from the stator

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Not sure where the black/yellow wire goes but will check that tomorrow, but yes it definitely looks like it’s been melted/burned a bit. And yes the 3 yellow wires are coming from the stator
There is supposed to be a ground connected to the RR, so you may be ok there.

The solid black trailing away off the yellow is a bit of concern. It may be feeding the headlight relay. But it's worth noting there's a solid black that runs off the CDI, to the rear coil I believe. If they got that wrong, that might be the problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looking at the wiring now, the black wire that comes off the yellow stator wire splits off into two yellow wires going into a original/unmolested part of the harness. Looking at the regulator it has all three yellow wires and they’re all connected. One white wire from the bike going to a red wire, black/yellow to black and a brown to brown. So as far as I can tell this should be all good? Just need to fix a couple of the connections and should be good?
Hand Gesture Finger Thumb Nail

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Looking at the wiring now, the black wire that comes off the yellow stator wire splits off into two yellow wires going into a original/unmolested part of the harness. Looking at the regulator it has all three yellow wires and they’re all connected. One white wire from the bike going to a red wire, black/yellow to black and a brown to brown. So as far as I can tell this should be all good? Just need to fix a couple of the connections and should be good? View attachment 54819
That should be right, but something is smoking that ground wire. Could be the RR is shorting out inside.

A short would pull voltage down and that might be why the spark is weak.

I'd suggest unplugging the RR but there's no plug. You'd have to cut all the wires loose just to test the RR.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
I was thinking that wire was shorting to the other other wire that had come undone but could be wrong
It's possible, but the stock RR plug will melt the same way when the RR shorts.

When you get it running you could watch and see if it's getting hot

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well put the new cdi on and still won’t start. Getting a lot more popping/back firing out the carbs/exhaust than I did before but won’t even try to start. Guess it’s back to square one….again 🙄

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Well put the new cdi on and still won’t start. Getting a lot more popping/back firing out the carbs/exhaust than I did before but won’t even try to start. Guess it’s back to square one….again 🙄
How's the battery?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts