Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was swapping my handlebars and the top steering stem nut was loose to the point i could turn it by hand. :BLAM: Talk about an accident waiting to happen.

So I'll use this as a good time to remind everyone to check all the bolts on your bike periodically, even the hard to get to ones!

·
Super Moderator
11,863 Posts
I'll second that. If you ride alot, go over your bolts and nuts at least once a month.
I call this my "preflight shake down".... Check tire pressure, examining tires for wear/cuts etc....check steering head play.....then tightness of all bolts, screws nuts,cable adjusters and check battey connections and ground.

Had a friend that went down due to his front axle backing out. I myself almost lost it in a turn because the throttle housing turned instead of the throttle tube.

I always walk around the bike and visually check it before a ride. Especially if its been sitting awhile or parked in a questionable neighborhood.
(Which was likely my freinds above cause, someone evidently tried to steal his front wheel but got scared off before finishing the job)

You depend on all the parts of your bike to work properly, make sure they do as its your own ass on the line here. ;)

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I'll third that.
I once found a engine case bolt under the right side frame rail loose....well it was actually completely out, but trapped between the case and the frame.
I was lucky there were no leaks because of it, but getting the both started and threaded in with the engine in the frame was a challenge.

NEVER take anything for granted....I have seen a lot of people lose parts on the road to never be found again....lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts