Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got caught in the rain today. I was rather unprepared as I don't have a rain suit yet and only had a spare flannel shirt in my bag. Also, I had never ridden in the rain. Thankfully, it wasn't a downpour. But I was about 5 miles from home going mostly 45-55 miles per hour.

Do you guys carry rain gear with you all the time? How do you train yourself to ride wet?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Heh, I got caught at work with a thunderstorm rolling through about 2 weeks ago. No rain suit. I waited until the worst of it was over and then rode the 28 miles home in a steady rain. Needless to say I was soaked, but over all it wasn't terrible.

I now have a set of Frogg Toggs. But I don't have saddle bags, so I just carry them in my back pack if there's a good chance of rain later that day. Haven't had to wear them yet though.

Edit: also, I got my Frogg Toggs at Open Road Leathers on Beach Blvd. They have a good selection and they are about the price as what I was finding online.

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have saddle bags either. I have a motorcycle back pack that straps to my sissy bar. I might have to check those out. How did you size them?

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
I got bags but rarely carry raingear. If it rains, I get wet. During the summer this can be a good thing. (mesh ain't waterproof...lol)

If it's raining hard in the morning, I take the car. If I am on the bike and it rains coming home, that's fine. It's likely cooler than if it wasn't....

·
Registered
458 Posts
Looks like the two previous posters (excluding knifemaker) have been caught in the same rain I have been, Im on the westside of Jax near Orange Park. Ive been caught in the rain several times coming home from work (2:30 pm) And we know what happens in north florida about 2:30-3:00.
Dont have a rain suit so I put my wallet in a plastic bag. Of course the wife makes me get naked in the garage as she hands me a towel.
One thing to remember when the roads are wet, those heavy painted lines at the intersections can be very slippery.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm a fair weather, daytime rider. With that said , sometimes wet and darkness are unavoidable. I carry a lightweight rain jacket in my bags, but no rainpants. My windshield also helps. If there is a more than 20-30% chance of thunderstorms, I take the cage, 'cause if I take the bike, it becomes 100% chance of rain:doh: go figure
Che

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I don't have saddle bags either. I have a motorcycle back pack that straps to my sissy bar. I might have to check those out. How did you size them?
I just went in there and tried them on over my jeans. :) I got large so I could make sure they would fit over my jacket and jeans.

ifixf18s, no doubt about the weather around here. How hard is it to be a weatherman in Jax in the summer? "Today there is a 80% chance of afternoon thunderstorms and highs in the 90's."

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
I just got caught in the rain yesterday on my way home from work. At least it was on my way home and not on my way to work. I don't carry rain gear so I just put my phone in my vest pocket and ride as carefully as I can.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
I'll ride through just about anything. And yes I carry a rain suit in my bag. Here are my tips: keep your bike in top condition. Brakes, tires, lights. You have to be confident in your bike. Don't ride beyond your ability. It's OK to push the envelope and try something new, thats how we grow in our abilities, but you have to know where the envelope is. that's number one for me. Beyond the Zen, you need technique. Remember wet pavment has 80% the traction of a dry road. Remember that wet brakes need a longer lead time. In general, follow the car tire path in front of you closest to the crown. Reduce speed and easy on the brakes/throttle. Common sense stuff.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I've been lucky enough to not get caught in the rain on the Vulcan yet. However, when my only bike was the Rebel, I got caught out several times. The best was trying to get home some southern West Virginia back up to Pittsburgh. The day varied from torrential downpours to steady rain. Turned what should have been a 6 hour day of back country roads into over 12 hours. At the end of the day I was soaked to the bone, cold, and tired, but would have happily done it all again.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I keep my waterproof pants and jacket (separate pieces) tied with a net onto my luggage rack all the time. It rains a LOT here. The problem is the roads. They must have made them with more than the usual amount of glass in the asphalt because turns have to be taken pretty much straight up or else the front wheels slips.

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, around here, it usually rains at least 20 minutes a day within 5 miles of the house... And I was careful. I am also aware to stay out of the middle lane seeing as that's where most chemical leakage in cages drops. I have some waterproof over pants that I am now keeping in my bag. I'll work on getting a top. But my main issue was that I was wearing a half helmet and the rain stung like needles. lol but thanks for the advice guys.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I worry less about getting wet myself than I do the bike. I run pods, and Im presently working on a "pod-mod" rain cover that will still allow air to come in, yet be sheilded from rain...should be a market for it, since many different brands have owners who use em.
In the late 70s...I borrowed my neighbors 90cc Suzuki dual range enduro. I rode from the Adirondacks of NY to Rockland Co, NY...10 hrs...started in the snow, went to sleet/hail, then rain,back to sleet, then to sun....was dry by time I got there...Carhart jacket was all I wore (I was logging then). And I ended up rebuilding my friend's motor, lol...

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
texas rain sux to ride in but as dariv said just pay attention it beats sitting in hot dry heat durring rush hour and use the back brake first when stopping in the wetness

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
just take it slower and there shouldn't be a problem.i have a tendency to ride all year long.snow sucks!this january i rode in to work at 5 degrees and it was so cold that the clutch linkage inside the motor stuck and the clutch slipped so bad i bareley made it into work

1 - 16 of 16 Posts