Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to get my CCW license and was thinking about how to carry on the bike when I'm out cruising alone. The only gun I have at the moment that I'd be able to carry is a 1911 (full size). I'd like to get some comments and suggestions from people. And no, I probably won't have money to buy a different (smaller) gun anytime soon, so it'll be the 1911. Don't have any holsters yet, and only 1 mag, so trying to decide if I can put it in my jacket somewhere, or if I should just strap it on the outside of my leg and open carry, or what.... should I get more mags to have on me? lots of questions...

ideas?

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
I'm about to get my CCW license and was thinking about how to carry on the bike when I'm out cruising alone. The only gun I have at the moment that I'd be able to carry is a 1911 (full size). I'd like to get some comments and suggestions from people. And no, I probably won't have money to buy a different (smaller) gun anytime soon, so it'll be the 1911. Don't have any holsters yet, and only 1 mag, so trying to decide if I can put it in my jacket somewhere, or if I should just strap it on the outside of my leg and open carry, or what.... should I get more mags to have on me? lots of questions...

ideas?
That will entirely depend upon your state's laws regarding carrying.

Here in Georgia, with a permit, you can carry any way you wish (openly or concealed). If you are "in" your vehicle (in a car, on a motorcycle) you may also carry any way you wish, even without a permit.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
As a fellow CCW holder, I do not plan on ever open carrying. I am grateful that I no longer face a felony charge should my sidearm somehow come in to view by accident. That being said, have you considered one of these?

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I understand it, we have open carry in KY, so if I get my CCW, I should be covered any which way I want. I guess maybe I just need to go try on different holsters and see how they fit.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Your physical size and body shape will dictate to a large degree how you can carry a full size 1911 concealed. Another consideration is where is the gun going to be if you crash and slide. You probably don't want the gun between you and the pavement. :(

·
2,526 Posts
Shoulder holster under your riding jacket would be my recommendation. Are you planning on carrying that thing cocked and locked? As far as extra mags go, don't you think throwing 7 or 8 shots of .45ACP at someone is enough? I usually don't carry an extra mag with me.
I have several guns but the easiest one I conceal when I ride is my Ruger .380 LCP, it fits into almost any of my riding jacket pockets.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,732 Posts
check the laws in KY. then check them again! here in Ohio, the gun laws change more times in a year than I change the oil in my cars! lol also, if you plan on riding across state lines, make sure you know about those states gun laws too!

if you don't have the $ to get a smaller/more concealable gun, then look for good holster and use what you've got. me? I would go with the shoulder holster for under the jacket. as for the # of mags? you never have enough! lol better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it! so, I say, at least get 1 more mag.

bottom line......it's all you choice! so, do what you want and carry however you can/want.

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
Are you planning on carrying that thing cocked and locked?
I would certainly hope he is. That's how the 1911 was designed and supposed to be carried! :D

·
Super Moderator
11,934 Posts
I too had full size 1911. The idea of putting a big hard piece of steel against my ribs while riding did not sound like a good idea to me. I've known folks that got broken ribs just from a cell phone.

So I put my weapon in a tank bag. It was right there a quick zipper pull away, and if I crashed there was no worry of crunching ribs or puncturing body parts.

I kept a nice soft inside the pants holster with it so I could slip the gun to my person when I parked.

Kinda pointless to carry a gun under a hard to open jacket and thus hard to get to location. That plus the "hard" thing against your body while ridding sounds a bit bad too....

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,732 Posts
Kinda pointless to carry a gun under a hard to open jacket and thus hard to get to location.
same could be said about carrying in a tank bag! I don't think it's any "harder" to unzip my jacket than my tank bag. also I prefer to have the weapon on me ALL the time. it's too easy to get separated from your weapon when it's in a tank bag or saddle bag. :boxing:

but again, to each their own. so, do as you will.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I normally carry mine in the small of my back. Since I punched a hole in my freshly recovered seat with the clip already, now it stays on my right hip when I ride.

I'm not carrying a 1911 though, so take that fwiw.

·
Super Moderator
11,934 Posts
same could be said about carrying in a tank bag! I don't think it's any "harder" to unzip my jacket than my tank bag. also I prefer to have the weapon on me ALL the time. it's too easy to get separated from your weapon when it's in a tank bag or saddle bag. :boxing:

but again, to each their own. so, do as you will.
Basicly I agree with that. Still the aspect of falling on the gun and busting ribs just is not a happy thought. But mostly, many of my jackets don't have a just simple zipper to open but have snaps, and Velcro flaps that make opening them while on the bike a much more difficult operation.

Also, if someone sees you open your jacket and reach in, they might quickly believe you are going for a gun. But moving a zipper on the back of a tank bag right in front of you 6" and slipping your hand inside can go unnoticed alot easier.

And I'll add this was advice for a full sized 1911. Now that I carry a tiny Rugsr LCP, it's usually found in my right pants pocket. If I fall on it I'm not too worried of it breaking my upper leg. (One of the hardest bones in the body to break)

To be honest, I really can't forsee a situation where is need to go for my gun while ON the bike, so most of this not that of much of a issue to me anyway.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I don't know about all states, but some have places that guns are not allowed, like maybe where alcohol is served, which is most restaurants these days...
With that in mind, maybe if you don't carry concealed and slip it (illegal) into a restaurant, then you would have to leave it on the bike, a no, no, for me... Just sayin...
Have a good one... Old Dog...

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,732 Posts
Basicly I agree with that. Still the aspect of falling on the gun and busting ribs just is not a happy thought. But mostly, many of my jackets don't have a just simple zipper to open but have snaps, and Velcro flaps that make opening them while on the bike a much more difficult operation.

Also, if someone sees you open your jacket and reach in, they might quickly believe you are going for a gun. But moving a zipper on the back of a tank bag right in front of you 6" and slipping your hand inside can go unnoticed alot easier.

And I'll add this was advice for a full sized 1911. Now that I carry a tiny Rugsr LCP, it's usually found in my right pants pocket. If I fall on it I'm not too worried of it breaking my upper leg. (One of the hardest bones in the body to break)

To be honest, I really can't forsee a situation where is need to go for my gun while ON the bike, so most of this not that of much of a issue to me anyway.
I agree, broken ribs would not be fun! :doh:

I see what you are saying about the jacket. but that's why I don't own/buy those kind of jackets.

but the whole slipping your hand into the tank bag vs. your jacket is still debatable! and this could go on and on and on.........

so like I said be for, to each their own. there really isn't a right or wrong answer.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,732 Posts
I don't know about all states, but some have places that guns are not allowed, like maybe where alcohol is served, which is most restaurants these days...
With that in mind, maybe if you don't carry concealed and slip it (illegal) into a restaurant, then you would have to leave it on the bike, a no, no, for me... Just sayin...
Have a good one... Old Dog...
here in Ohio. the law was that if the place served alcohol, you could not carry into that place and if you got caught, it was a felony. but now you can carry into those places, but you can not drink.
and as for leaving it on the bike.......for me, I'd be ok with that if I could some how lock it in something that was secure to the bike. and now here in Ohio, if you do get caught carrying in some place that has one of those (dumbass) signs that say no cc here. you can only get hit with trespassing.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I carry two Springfield GI's and 4 mags with me 7 days a week. Either in iwb cross breed holsters or in a urban safari rig. Here in PA we have a License to carry a firearm and we can carry open or concealed.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
and now here in Ohio, if you do get caught carrying in some place that has one of those (dumbass) signs that say no cc here. you can only get hit with trespassing.
I would think....its kinda tough to get caught.

:smiley_th +1

·
Registered
856 Posts
Here is what I use to carry my 1911:
Ambi Holster

Its fully ambi and can be used inside or outside the waistband. I carry mine just about at the kidney as it fits perfectly there and hides very well, and is still comfortable while sitting.

I carry 2 spare mags with me in a mag pouch that I picked up from Walmart for $10

Edit:
One thing to keep in mind about open carry, despite it being legal in KY, most people tend not to know this, see the gun, freak out and call the cops. Most of which aren't aware of the open carry rules, and give you a hard time. Just something to keep in mind.

ideas?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts