Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an initial review as I just put this thing on yesterday (Friday).

I picked up the Cardo Scala Q3 Intercom / Bluetooth set (http://www.cardosystems.com/motorcycles/scala-rider-q3)

It wasn't terribly cheap - retails for $220. I had a 15% off coupon for a local dealership and decided to get one. They come in single or dual sets - I got the single as I rarely have a passenger (not to mention I didn't have $300+ in my pocket).

The unit comes with two microphones - one "boom type" and a smaller one to be used with full face helmets. I think the boom mike can be used with full face as well but harder to make fit with the pads and such. I put the smaller mic in.

First ride out - bluetooth music worked well. Fairly easy to control (buttons on the unit attached to helmet). I had fingerless gloves on at the time - not sure how difficult the buttons would be to get to with full gloves on. Sound was pretty good with the speakers it came with. I used the GPS navigation app on my phone and that worked well for my little test (could hear the navigation commands well).

I made two phone calls - one to a friend to see how it sounded (to me and them). He said he couldn't hear any background noise.

The 2nd call was to my wife. We spoke for about 10 minutes - 5 minutes in normal street traffic, 5 minutes at 65 mph on the freeway. She never knew I was on my bike. I have to say I was impressed by that.

Oh - it has a FM tuner as well - allows the user to program 6 presets but can scan as well.

I hope to try the intercom function sometime - just have to find somebody to ride with that has a compatible unit.

I will try to update it as I use it more. I'm still figuring out how to do some things.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
This is an initial review as I just put this thing on yesterday (Friday).

I picked up the Cardo Scala Q3 Intercom / Bluetooth set (http://www.cardosystems.com/motorcycles/scala-rider-q3)

It wasn't terribly cheap - retails for $220. I had a 15% off coupon for a local dealership and decided to get one. They come in single or dual sets - I got the single as I rarely have a passenger (not to mention I didn't have $300+ in my pocket).

The unit comes with two microphones - one "boom type" and a smaller one to be used with full face helmets. I think the boom mike can be used with full face as well but harder to make fit with the pads and such. I put the smaller mic in.

First ride out - bluetooth music worked well. Fairly easy to control (buttons on the unit attached to helmet). I had fingerless gloves on at the time - not sure how difficult the buttons would be to get to with full gloves on. Sound was pretty good with the speakers it came with. I used the GPS navigation app on my phone and that worked well for my little test (could hear the navigation commands well).

I made two phone calls - one to a friend to see how it sounded (to me and them). He said he couldn't hear any background noise.

The 2nd call was to my wife. We spoke for about 10 minutes - 5 minutes in normal street traffic, 5 minutes at 65 mph on the freeway. She never knew I was on my bike. I have to say I was impressed by that.

Oh - it has a FM tuner as well - allows the user to program 6 presets but can scan as well.

I hope to try the intercom function sometime - just have to find somebody to ride with that has a compatible unit.

I will try to update it as I use it more. I'm still figuring out how to do some things.
Little bit of news that should please every one . Sena has a firmware upgrade available for download that will allow the two brands to communicate with each other. So if you have friends who have a Sena Headset have them update their unit so you can talk to each other. This has been in the works for a couple of years and hopefully the word gets out

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Little bit of news that should please every one . Sena has a firmware upgrade available for download that will allow the two brands to communicate with each other. So if you have friends who have a Sena Headset have them update their unit so you can talk to each other. This has been in the works for a couple of years and hopefully the word gets out
Good info to know

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So how do the speakers work?
I haven't used mine much yet (just what I wrote) but I thought they sounded pretty good. Music, phone call, navigation 'lady'. Clear and plenty loud - I actually turned the volume down a few times.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts