Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

Pulled the carburetors off my friend's 2006 for a first-time scrubbing since they've never been off and decided to document the disassembly process to the best of my ability. Since a common question is "how do I take the carbs apart?" comes across, I thought I'd contribute to the cause.

The process can be found here Keihin Carburetors - Album on Imgur

If anything is wrong, needs a revision, have a suggestion etc., kindly message me the information so I can correct it.

-catharsys

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Great album, very clear pictures.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Nice! That's pretty dang complete.

I vote sticky post! Definitely a keeper.

Just in time to do mine, it's on one cyl at low speed. Errr, I may chicken out and try seafoam again first. It's too hot for this.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
One thing I can think of .... Didn't see the emulsion tubes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing I can think of .... Didn't see the emulsion tubes.
Is that synonymous with the needle jet holder (part # 13091-1384) or something else? It appears to be the large flute-looking part that threads into the carburetor body and holds the main jet on top.

If that's the case, I did mention this part in my documentation. If I'm wrong, I'll hush up and let someone else take lead.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Is that synonymous with the needle jet holder (part # 13091-1384) or something else? It appears to be the large flute-looking part that threads into the carburetor body and holds the main jet on top.

If that's the case, I did mention this part in my documentation. If I'm wrong, I'll hush up and let someone else take lead.
No, actually you're right and the tube is in the pics. These weird carbs... The emulsion tube is the jet holder. Was it covered with tiny holes up and down the sides? And did you clean those holes?

Emulsion tubes help atomize the gas just before it goes into the carb throat.

edit: Yep, that jet holder in your pics has the holes for emulsion. I can zoom the pic and count the holes that are showing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, actually you're right and the tube is in the pics. These weird carbs... The emulsion tube is the jet holder. Was it covered with tiny holes up and down the sides? And did you clean those holes?

Emulsion tubes help atomize the gas just before it goes into the carb throat.

edit: Yep, that jet holder in your pics has the holes for emulsion. I can zoom the pic and count the holes that are showing.
Sure did clean the holes...tossed it in my ultra sonic parts cleaner.

Glad I didn't miss that major part, whew!

It's never too hot to do carburetor work - in 100° (plus) vile Arizona heat. I think I lost a few pounds from sweating alone.

·
Registered
21 Posts
super fantastic job! be sure to do 1 carb at a time as you don't want to mix up the parts especially the needles and jets.

·
Registered
182 Posts
great post very detailed and please correct me if im wrong but the pic of the needle jet and seat is wrong the needle jet should go under the seat not on top of it if my memory serves me right

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
I am getting the running on one cylinder now when it gets hot. Peeps seem to be pointing to the Carbs. But this looks like a winter project, or unless it becomes non running anymore. Why they had the engineer complicate everything on this bike is beyond me!

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
It's a carbureted motorcycle from the 80s. Just be happy it isn't an I4 with 4 carbs! The carbs are the same ones used on many bikes, including Harleys. Not quite over-complicated.

Start with the basics, blowback method, some seafoam in the gas.

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
Meaning they are a bitch to get out, and joined together at the float bowl like Siamese twins. I did the blowback today after I took it for a ride, and shot some carb cleaner in the drain screw hole. Next ride will tell if it worked. Was idling pretty consistant

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Meaning they are a bitch to get out, and joined together at the float bowl like Siamese twins. I did the blowback today after I took it for a ride, and shot some carb cleaner in the drain screw hole. Next ride will tell if it worked. Was idling pretty consistant
persistence, ant LOTS of patience, is the key here

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Reactions: L2fish

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Almost think it may be best to buy some off Ebay, bench rebuild them, and swap them out.
actually that's not a bad idea

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Howdy all,

Pulled the carburetors off my friend's 2006 for a first-time scrubbing since they've never been off and decided to document the disassembly process to the best of my ability. Since a common question is "how do I take the carbs apart?" comes across, I thought I'd contribute to the cause.

If anything is wrong, needs a revision, have a suggestion etc., kindly message me the information so I can correct it.

-catharsys
Thank you for this. Cleaning my carbs on my 06 and this is very helpful.

great post very detailed and please correct me if im wrong but the pic of the needle jet and seat is wrong the needle jet should go under the seat not on top of it if my memory serves me right
You are correct.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts