Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Vulcan Bobber
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried the different tricks to "fix" carb flooting: seafoam, Gumout and others,
it is! I will have to open it and rebuild:doh:. My question.... What I need replace to fix flooting carb problem? needles, float valve, o rings?
I would like to do a good job..please give some help...thanks

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Inside the float chambers, what you replace depends on what the problem is. If a needle is damaged/worn somehow, and causing the leak, then you'll need to replace it. If it's just a chunk of debris on the end of the needle, then you'll just need to clean it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
is this happening while the bike is just sitting, or while ur driving?

if its when ur sitting, is ur fuel selector in the "ON" position? (pointing straight down) or in the prime or "PRI" position (pointing towards the back of the bike) If its in "PRI" it will allow fuel to flow freely into the carbs, with gravity helping it along, and can over flood the carbs (i had this problem when my bike was parked for 7 year, over filled the crank case with fuel/oil)

when its in the "ON" position, fuel cannot flow down the fuel lines until the engine is running do to the vacuum diaphragm turn on. basically, that lil black line that goes from ur carb vacuum port to the petcock, provides vacuum to actually turn on the fuel to the carbs

·
Vulcan Bobber
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok vulcanetors, I get carbs clean and synch, know my bike sounds good in idle, but when I get runing ......the rear cylinder sound low, just the front cylinder seems it's pushing the bike. Why? ( I'm sure is no Carburetor Fuel Flooding problem now sooooo what is?)

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
You could still have crud in the high speed jet. It may take more than one cleaning to get all the junk out of your carbs.
Or, you may not have reassembled them correctly. This is easier to do than you might think.
Did you check your diaphrams? If they have holes in them, the CV slide may not operate properly and cause problems.

·
Vulcan Bobber
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She has the original hoses (19 years old) I will replace all hoses to make more sure.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Rebuilt the carbs replaced o rings, and floats and unstopped jets. Took a
test ride, 2 miles, running great then front carb started flooding. I have visually inspected float valve etc. seems ok. How should the floats be adjusted. Maybe It is not shutting off completely when the chamber fills up? Or any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
It took me three cleanings to get all the crud out of my carbs. It seems that the first two knocked some crud loose in obscure corners and it came back to haunt me. That and a high speed jet that vibrated out of its holder didn't help.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just a little hint - I bought off eBay a small ultrasonic cleaner, 30 bux plus postage from memory it works a treat for cleaning the small bits and the boss uses it for her jewellery as well so even though it's something that rarely gets used, it's a good thing to have laying around.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
When I did my carbs I did the gas tank valve at the same time, and good thing too. The valve was also packed with crud which would have broken and gotten into my newly cleaned carbs anyway. I also changed the fuel lines from valve to carbs as more insurance, and I would have cleaned the tank if it needed it as well.

After you go thru the effort of doing the carbs, take the time to do all the stuff before them too. While the carb job isn't really that bad, it's not something to have to do repeatedly if at all possible. IMO.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I cleaned petcock, replaced diapham, orings etc. New fuel lines, vacum lines. Gas tank seemed to be clean inside. I guess I will add fuel filters in the lines. and reopen the front float and see. Will try to readjust float, check float valve and seat. GRRRRRR!

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
When you put the float bowl back together, shake it a little to make sure the float is moving. Sometimes they just stick even when they're clean.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts