Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I just picked up my bike from a local shop. First thing I noticed is that the idle knob is missing from the carbs, next I can not run the bike with out the choke being on, with out it the bike dies. Next the bike is having extremely bad power surges as I am driving it home. Next I noticed that the bike is smoking like crazy. Finally once I got it home I noticed that the bike was leaking gas.

I took my bike in to just have the carbs cleaned and to get them synced up. I am going to have them pick up the bike tomorrow morning and fix it but would like some insight as to what they did wrong. The bike is running so much worse then when I brought it in.

They also bought some new parts for the carbs during the process. Any help will be very appreciated.

Thanks,

-Hutch750

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
That's just absurd! If it were me I would demand they put it in perfect shape carbs wise, and if they can't, get them to order you a new set and put them on or pay someone who knows what they're doing. Can't believe they gave it back with the idle knob missing!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
X2 to fergy`s suggestions. Don`t let the stealership get away with this robbery. That`s really what it is , if they take your money and do not give you value for it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah I took the morning off from work to have them come pick the bike up and fix it. I have not been able to get in contact with them yet, I think they open at 9:00am. So we will see. o... I forgot to tell you all together this ran me about $580.00. Not sure if that is a normal price for what they did but that's what I paid. Did I mention this took them over a month to do this! Anyway I will update you guys as to what happens.

Thanks for your input!

-Hutch750

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
yeah I took the morning off from work to have them come pick the bike up and fix it. I have not been able to get in contact with them yet, I think they open at 9:00am. So we will see. o... I forgot to tell you all together this ran me about $580.00. Not sure if that is a normal price for what they did but that's what I paid. Did I mention this took them over a month to do this! Anyway I will update you guys as to what happens.

Thanks for your input!

-Hutch750
Bend over and spell RUN!! :doh:

Between $250.00 and $400.00 is normal price range. :beerchug:

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
If they start to say anything about not making things right and replacing what they broke, at their expense, I'd make sure to raise my voice (while being sure other potential customers are there) and demand they fix what they messed up.
Also, voicing my opinion on the outrageous rates they charge.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys, so I got my bike back finally after 2 months of waiting and the carbs now seem to be working better although due to how badly they messed them up in the first place they told me gas was getting into the engine block because a new float was defective (had a hole in it). So because of this they installed new spark plugs and changed the oil for free, but now I am getting a really bad clanking noise from the front cylinder almost like the noise that comes from the ACCT's when they need a new spring except about 3 times louder. Could this be connected to them messing up my carbs.... I have never heard this noise coming from my bike before? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Hutch750

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
If it wasn`t for bad luck, you wouldn`t have any at all. I feel bad for you, missing out on the early riding season. How does the shop explain the new noise?

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
what year and how many miles

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Sounds like they charged you double, and messed your bike up bad. And the worst part about it is, other than suing them, which would probably be pointless, there probably isn't much you can do about it. Was this a franchised dealer or an independent shop? That's one of the reasons I won't go anywhere near a dealer other than to buy a new bike, and many times I have left without the new bike I intended to buy, after a huge fight with the dealer. Dealers are just plain bad news any way you look at it, and many independent shops are as well. Out of hundreds we have here, there are only 2 good ones I know about.

Fortunately being an auto mechanic and just the mechanical type in general, I do all my own work on my bikes. Even though the VN750 carbs take a little longer to remove and replace than on most bikes, I would clean and them for $200 plus parts (if needed) and do it right. Even if it took all day, and a gallon of diet Dr Pepper, $200 is not bad for even a whole days work.

Anyway, what to do now? First of all, I would stay away from that place, (other than maybe going back in the middle of the night to burn it down, take that any way you want) they have already done more than enough damage to your bike. There is a place listed on here somewhere that you can send your carbs to, and they will fix them right. As far as the carbs go, I'd say that is your best bet.

As far as the noise, I have no idea. At least nothing connected with the carbs. Unless the carbs were leaking badly, and filled a cylinder full of liquid gas, causing hydrostatic lock, which did some mechanical damage. I would first make sure the exhaust is not leaking, and the cam chain is properly tensioned (do the Grambo trick). Pull both front plugs and look for damage. If none of that turns up anything, drain the oil and check the screen for metal particles. But whether you find anything or not, if it is still making the noise, you are going to have to do some engine tear down to find the problem.

Since they changed the oil, there is another possibility. I read somewhere about one of those quick change oil change places that hire pimply faced high school dropouts, where they had drained the oil, forgot to put more in, started the car, ran it for several minutes before realizing what they had done, shut it off, filled it with oil, and gave it back to the customer. The engine developed major problems shortly thereafter. This customer was lucky. Somehow they managed to get these morons to admit what they had done, and the company paid for a new engine, and fired aforementioned morons.

Many shops, both independent shops and franchised dealers, also hire high school dropouts, supposedly to clean floors and do the dirty work, but all to often they wind up working on customers bikes, doing things they are completely unqualified to do. You pay for a real mechanic, and get one of those.

Unfortunately it is almost impossible to prove a shop did something, they can say it was already that way, or it happened somewhere else, and you have no way of proving they lied. An unqualified person can do thousands of $$$ worth of damage to a bike in just a few minutes. Really sorry to hear this happened to you. Jerry.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Jerry the oil change thing happens all the time. Jiffy lube budgets one engine per month. At one time I was going to give up working on cars and try my hand at bikes went to the local dealership and asked what training and certifications they required. he said NONE they would start me off cleaning the shop and prepping new bikes then work my way up. It was then i realized it didn't look like anyone in the shop was over the age of 20. I laughed and left.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Jerry the oil change thing happens all the time. Jiffy lube budgets one engine per month. At one time I was going to give up working on cars and try my hand at bikes went to the local dealership and asked what training and certifications they required. he said NONE they would start me off cleaning the shop and prepping new bikes then work my way up. It was then i realized it didn't look like anyone in the shop was over the age of 20. I laughed and left.

Oh I believe it. That's another good reason to stay away from those places. One engine a month? I wonder how many engines they really destroy and get away with? Even my job (the government) requires ASE certifications for everything you do on a regular basis. I have managed to accumulate quite a few of them over the years. We do hire people without them, but they are not allowed to work on anything. If they show promise and enthusiasm, they are allowed to work on lawn mowers and weed eaters. Only after the boss decides they are really dedicated do we actually start paying for their training, plus they receive a lot of on the job training. It is usually better to do it this way than to hire someone with a huge stack of certifications, because it seems they almost always have an attitude, and don't want to do things the way we want them done.

But I can count on one hand the number of people we have hired as full time permanent in the last 10 years, and have fingers left over. It's a great job, with great pay and more important, great benefits. It's way better than any similar job in the private sector in every possible way, but because of that, the turnover rate is very low (most long timers retire there) and the staff is small, making it almost impossible to get in. Jerry.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey guys, you bring up a good point. The so called mechanic that worked on my bike could not be any more than 20 years old! I really wanted to question them on that but did not want to be rude. I thought maybe he just looks really young. Anyway, I already changed the oil and found out that they put way too much oil in the bike and did not change the oil filter. I will check the oil for metal scraps this afternoon. Now because they already changed the spark plugs would the new ones still show signs of problems? I am thinking they changed them to possibly hide any engine damage they may have caused. Jerry-- as for your question it was a independent shop and when I got the bike back the first time it was leaking a lot of gas, I live only a mile or so down the road from this place and by the time I got home the tank was just about empty and it was full to start. They also told me that the gas was getting into the engine and it must have because the amount of smoke that was coming from my bike was crazy. I think I will be contacting the BBB about this. How do I tell if the bike was damaged due to hydrostatic lock?

Thanks,

- Hutch750

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Very common scenario. Very normal around here. As for the damage, if there is any, you can try a compression test and a leakdown test on the front cylinder (if that is where the noise seems to be coming from) that may not turn up anything, but it's worth a shot. I would go ahead and check the plugs anyway, mostly just because it's so easy. When you change the oil and filter, and get the oil level back to normal, see if it still smokes. If it does, and the oil level is normal, something else is wrong. Oil is getting into the combustion chamber somehow.

About the carbs, it will never run right if the carbs are not working properly. If they leak, or cause flooding, they will have to be repaired and properly adjusted.

But it is the noise that concerns me right now. Loud mechanical noises coming from an engine are rarely a good thing. They are almost always the result of mechanical damage, and do not usually go away on their own. Since you said it resembled cam chain noise, that would be the first thing I checked, since it will be the easiest. Do you have any idea if they messed with the cam chain tensioners? With the Vulcan, even removing the cam cover requires pulling the engine. Please keep posting with what you find out. Jerry.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
The front cam (valve) cover can be removed with the engine in the frame. Grant you it is not easy, but possible. I did it when I thought that I had a bad lifter. The problem turned out to be the acct.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Have you tried the grambo trick on the acct yet, to see if a little more tensioner pressure affects the noise you hear?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts