Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone new how many turns out from all the way in should I turn the adjustment screws on each carb?Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
For the pipes/backfiring problem? Is that what you're adjusting them for?

I've seen people state here anything from 2 1/4 up to 3 or so. I think I somewhere around 3 1/2 or a little more is where they fall out.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
IIRC the stock bike is set at about 1 5/8 turns from the factory. You would need to adjust if you have done mods like coastering and/or de-goating. I've seen a whole bunch of info posted on this, and there seems to be a wide variation in how folks have this set. Dan's online motorcycle repair info had this to say about the mixture screw: "When the engine is warm, turn the screw in till the engine stumbles, then out till it stumbles, and leave it at half way in between." I've also seen several references to "reading the spark plugs" to see how lean or rich you're running. Here's a link that I found useful (again from Dan's Motorcycle repair site) http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Spark_Plugs_catalog.html Like above, with the engine warm, run it at the throttle position you are interested in tuning for, in this case at idle, shut it down and "read" the plugs. I have both of mine set at between 1 3/4 and 2 (I am also coastered), and this seems to be working very well for my '89. I hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts