Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hopeffully someone can give me a little direction in which way to go to solve my problem. the problem is whenever i go above 60mph or on a hard excel. the bike stumbles and mildly jerks and can't get much speed to pass. i have VH cruisers with no jetting mods. i have run sea foam thru it every 1/3 fill up. the bike is a 2000 with 14,000 miles on it and average 50-53mpg. so i guess i have 3 ways to go and need your feedback and/or past experiences.

1) sticky float or low level, so when i step on the gas i have to wait for the gas to get there thru the lines. not sure about this one though.

2) maybe because of the new pipes and less back pressure at top end, i need to rejet to get more gas in the cylinder to get it up to speed. here is no reason to rejet with cruisers but this could be the problem since it runs pretty good at moderate speeds.

3) could carbs out of synch cause this? it has 14,000 miles and i know perviuos owner never touched the carbs. he got the bike with 5,000 miles on it.

and 4) i'm totally clueless and its something entirely different.

please give me your thoughts as i have 3 months to figure this out till the snow melts. thanks in advance and keep it safe, J

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just an FYI i did cut the vent tube that goes into the right ear at an angle, so i know that's not the problem

·
Registered
87 Posts
Is there rust in the tank? Might be something clogging the jets. I have the same exact problem but two thousand more miles on my '93. I'll be reading up on this one too.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Unless the carbs have been removed and split, there is usually no reason to sync the carbs. However, it is an easy procedure to do once you build the $3 manometer.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the tank looks real clean, but maybe if there is some kind of filter in the petcock that could be clogged with dirt or residue. just might have to remove tank and check this winter.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
What about the air filters? Have they been cleaned recently?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes they have been clean, they looked real good when i cleaned them. but it might be time to get new ones couldn't hurt

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Well, IMO, if they didn't fall apart when ya cleaned them (mine were starting to deteriorate when I cleaned them, so I got new ones) they should be good for a while longer.

Does it still stumble if ya down shift, then open it up ?

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Have You Checked The Spark Plugs, Also Check Your Carb Diaphrams, I Had Similar Simptoms From A Split In One Of Them.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Jon, was the bike running fine after you installed the cruzers - and then the problem happened some months later? Did the problem coincide with the coming of the cold weather?

I think it is very possible that a richer main jet is needed. Good luck and let us know what you find!

Mark

·
Registered
17 Posts
You will need to jett your carbs for the V&H pipes. There are numerous post on this issue that you can find in the Forum or Versus. I had the same problem when I changed my pipes to V&H.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what to post an update to my carb problem. first i want to thank everyone who answered and gave their input. i always store that info just in case. what i did was start with the cheapest fix first, so if it worked, i would be investing expense for more involved solutions.
what i did was drain the reserviors in the carbs and using a syringe and tubing to the drain stud i gave both carbs a seafoam enema. i ran the straight seafoam thru the carbs by starting it for about 10 seconds(at least attempting to start it) so as to get it into the jets. i let it sit for 24 hours and drained both carbs by hooking up the tubing to the drain and sucking out the seafoam with the syringe. i cleaned and re-gapped the plugs and today ( 68 degrees in jersey) took it for a hard ride. Once out of town on secondary hiway, i opened it up with hard acceleration and WOW!!!!. it was jumping thru its skin, was up to 75mph in a flash with no breaking up and held it. could have gone higher i feel but 75 is tops for the road i was on.
so another victory for Seafoam.
hope this helps others. ride em safe J

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
ahhh majik in a can.... what i do is run slightly stronger than normal sea foam through the tank once a month or so (i run through about 2-3 tanks a week). sofar no problems. keeps everthing nicely cleaned out.

also when u drained out the sea foam, what color was it. it may indicate to another issue like a rusty tank or deterioating hoses...

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
must be gas gunk then. did it sit for sometime, or are you using less then top teir level gas (shell texico chevron ect, not like 7-11 racetrac ect)

·
Registered
17 Posts
The bike sounds to lean. When you put V&H Cruzers on your bike, you need to re-jet the carbs. Somewhere on this site it tells you what others have done. Maybe someone here can tell you where.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
All it takes is something, a particle very small to make your float needles stick or cause a problem with the fuel flow. It probably dissolved in the seafoam, what ever it was. I don't recall anyone having to rejet after installing cruizers, unless they did an earshave at the same time, but I haven't been as actively reading here in the last month or so as I was. I know seafoam is getting lots of cudos here. Good stuff.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts