Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm still trying to figure out this vibration that I have. I've read several postings on people doing the carb sync and how to hook everything up and someone saying that they got the 3 dollar tool from yahoo group but I can't find any pics or links to this "tool" to either make or buy one. any info would be great. Also, if someone could tell me what causes the carb to become out of sync all of a sudden. (not sure if mine are, bike seems to run great except for the vibration) I'd just llike to check this myself before I resort to taking it to the dealer.. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Here's the link to the cheap manometer: http://www.powerchutes.com/manometer.asp

My sense of carbs getting out of adjustment is that it's usually the result of rough-housing...:) Seriously, if the carbs are removed from the bike, they need to be sync'd. I may have this backwards (someone jump in), but the carb sync screw only adjusts the rear throttle plate - the idea is to bring it in line with the position of the front throttle plate. So if the front throttle plate gets moved at all (whcih I believe it does with the idle adjustment screw), then - voila - the plates are out of sync.

It's a quick and easy job, and definitely makes a difference in performance. Like you say, that may not be the problem you're experiencing, but you'll need to sync at some point or another anyway.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Manometer da da dadada

·
Registered
25 Posts
Off the subject

Hey Borto, how does the bike look with the chrome radiator cover and the Kaw engine guard? I thought it may be too much chrome up in the front of the bike. Where did you find to be the best place to purchase these parts from? Many of the places I look do not list the 750. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey streetnit!

I got the chrome rad cover on ebay. Kinda seem hard to come by, since this is my first year with the bike and I've only seen them once so far and I got one of the 3 or 4 he had. I think it looks good with the cover.. I thought just the opposite of you and thought it was 2 much black without it. If you PM me your email I can shoot you a pic if you would like.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello all,
Check out this link for a mana-mana do do do do do! (I WILL be singing that all day now!) carbtune.com/index Last October, I was trying to get my sportbike ready to do my first track day and needed to get my carbs sync'd. I did NOT want to mess with mercury, and have heard quality problems with those vacuum gauges you can get from JC whitney and apparently on Ebay. I used this tool, and got my sportbike running very smoothly. I will tell you that everything on the tool is 'good' quality exept how they have the 'loop' hooked up to hang it from the handle bar when you are adjusting the carbs. I made a very quick inexpensive version out a couple of zip ties and some wire. I looked all over the net to find a tool, I found some home made plans that looked like they would work, but this one looked the best, a little expensive, but I am going to use it over and over on several different bikes so I fiqured what the heck..
When sync'ing the carbs ( on a lot a bikes) you need an aux fuel tank because you need to remove the fuel tank (not sure on my vulcan because I just got it last week, probably can leave the tank on). Again, instead of paying 50 bucks from Dennis kirk or other suppliers for one, I made one from a funnel with a twist valve on the bottom, some vinyl (clear) tubing and fuel line and some hose clamps. I found the vinyl tubing helps to see the fuel on it's way to the carbs. Looks like on the vulcan you may also need a fuel line "T" fitting because of the dual carb/fuel line set up (I found a plastic automotive vacuum line fitting with universal size barbed connections for like 2 bucks) and boom your in business.:rockon:

By the way, this is my first post here. Like I said just became the owner of a 2003 Vulcan 750, and am probably going to have to take the carbs off in the very near future (monday when I get my book from Kawi) to fix a rough running idle circuit. The bike sat for almost a year with no running, before my buddy decided to give me the bike. yes I said GIVE me the bike. 2800 miles, not a scratch, just does not want to idle or have any throttle respone except coughing and spitting at me. Never had anyone do anything like that for me. Pretty cool. I am still blown away and head is still reeling..He was having health problems and said it was a shame to just be sitting in the garage. sooo....
glad I found this site, already have found some good stuff!!
Txvulcan
"cryogenic biker":motorcycl :carryflag
ps, for those of you with more than one bike in the garage, this manometer works on 2 and 4 carb set ups. pretty cool. and no I don't work for or represent those guys, they are based in the UK.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Welcome! You got a pic of your aux fuel set-up? I've been kicking around ideas, but keep getting stuck at the shut-off valve (I haven't found a close-able t-port that'll hold the fuel lines).

Good get on the '03, too! Before you pull the carbs, dump some Seafoam in there and see if the coughing and spitting eases up a little. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks!
ok, Seafoam? Stupid Question, what is it? I have used a LOT of additives, cleaners and such, have I missed one? Who makes it and where can I get it? If there is even a chance of not having to pull the carbs off, I will give it a shot!!:pepper::rockon: Thanks for the pointer! I will try it this weekend and see what comes of it!
I can take some pics of my set up. I don't have a shut off close to the carbs, that would probably be a good idea now that I think about it. It is a fairly crude set up, but it works.:motorcycl
(sorry, the smiley dudes are cool)
I will try to hook you up with pics the next couple of days, work'n the nightshift thang for the next couple of nights.
Txvulcan

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Check the Verses for Odes to Seafoam...you can get it at Pep Boys, NAPA, I think Auto Zone. It's in a white can with red lettering - about $8 a can.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Hello all,
Check out this link for a mana-mana do do do do do! (I WILL be singing that all day now!) carbtune.com/index Last October, I was trying to get my sportbike ready to do my first track day and needed to get my carbs sync'd. I did NOT want to mess with mercury, and have heard quality problems with those vacuum gauges you can get from JC whitney and apparently on Ebay. I used this tool, and got my sportbike running very smoothly. I will tell you that everything on the tool is 'good' quality exept how they have the 'loop' hooked up to hang it from the handle bar when you are adjusting the carbs. I made a very quick inexpensive version out a couple of zip ties and some wire. I looked all over the net to find a tool, I found some home made plans that looked like they would work, but this one looked the best, a little expensive, but I am going to use it over and over on several different bikes so I fiqured what the heck..

ps, for those of you with more than one bike in the garage, this manometer works on 2 and 4 carb set ups. pretty cool. and no I don't work for or represent those guys, they are based in the UK.
Hey.. I checked them out and correct me if I'm wrong.... in the tubes they have stainless rods that move up and down??
And # 2... The other best one I see out there is made by "Motion Pro".... They apparently use a vacum buffer of sorts to help keep the "manometer fluid" from bouncing around while useing.... question is: how smooth of a signal do you get on this set up? does it stay pretty constant or does it bounce around?

PS.... Motion Pro around 95.00 Carbtune 110.00 So it is not that much more if it is a better setup!

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
y not use the powerchute one?

Use clear vinyl tubing - oil you'd be reasonably OK with going through your carbs (or seafoam?) - and suck the oil in there manually. You'll want appropriately sized flexible fuel line to fit over the two vacuum nipples.

Once ya have as much oil in the works as ya feel is appropriate - let the whole setup sit for a few days to level out - then go to work.

I've never used a mercury manometer before - but for a bike with 2 cylinders I'd imagine the 1.55 manometer works BETTER than mercury sticks - if only because any pressure difference is expressed in INCHES rather than millimeters.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I have three bikes in my garage.... two running and one to soon be working on.
I have a friend that has a Yamaha 850 triple plus other friends with bikes. and while if it were for my bikes only I might try to make one. But it would be nice to have one that I can just pack up and go with.

Besides.... does not matter how it measures the vacum as long as all cylinders read the same. ;)

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree, the powerchutes homeade model worked just fine for me for about 3 bucks. the only thing I did different is put a thicker grade hose (about 3 inches) on the nipples to the carbs because the thin clear tubing when sitting next to the cylinder head getting hot kind of collapsed and I was getting false readings. As far as letting it sit for a few days.. Well, after 2 days of waiting I got frustrated so I used a soon to be patented suck blow technique. Which ever side has the highest oil bubbles, put your thumb over the opposite side and blow the bubbles down the tube. It took a minute and all the oil was where it needed to be. As far as being "jumpy" at idle it bounces about an inch but it's no problem to see if they are even.. at 4K they don't jump at all. Some people say they have to shut the bike down, twist the throttle to get a better angle to adjust the screw. I had a pair of 10 inch needle nose pliers that would reach right in there while the bike was running and I could adjust it that way and watch it without shutting the bike down all the time.. worked really well.

·
Stranger Than Fiction
151 Posts
Someone should post a video of this being done...It'd be a great visual aid to add to the Verses.....

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
Someone should post a video of this being done...It'd be a great visual aid to add to the Verses.....
With what a bitch the adjuster is to get to - I think that there'd have to be background music - definitely NOT the "dialogue" that goes along with not being able to get to the screws and burning yourself while trying...

Seriously though, I might be rechecking the sync one of these days - if I do and the wife is free to hold the camera (takes good video) - I'll show the redneck (whatever tool you've got) way to do it <g>.

·
Registered
5 Posts
95VN750,
The Carb tune set has restricter tubes that are installed in the vacuum line. I used it on my Yamaha FZR 600R before going to a track day, and it worked great. Good response and it did not bounce around (all little bump is normal)while adjusting the carbs. I was looking for something that did not use mercury in it, and this one works well. Mercury is just nasty stuff that causes a bunch of different problems if you touch the liquid or inhale the vapour of it.
Hope this Helps.
txvulcan:rockon:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts