Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 86 vn750 and I have a chance to get a set of 700 carbs cheap. Will they work on my bike or are they smaller?

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
thinking that the 700 is 50 cc's smaller, i would figure that they would be smaller too....dont take my word for it though cause alot of parts are interchangable. i just dont think carbs would interchange though.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I believe the only difference is jet sizes. I have the factory shop manual so I will look up the sizes later & let you know.:beerchug:

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Here's the jet sizes you need.
All the VN700's had a 135 main jet as standard. The 86 VN750 had a 110 main jet for US & Canada & general market models. Only exception was the German & Swedish market models which had a 108 main jet. The pilot jets & starter jets are the same on all models. You will need to change the jet needles too. The 700's had a N27H needle for the front carb & a N27M for the rear. For your 86 750 you will need a N27U for the front carb & a N27V for the rear (assuming yours is a US model). If it's a non-US model, you will need N31F needles in both carbs. There are no pilot screw settings specified for the 700 model which makes me assume they don't have them. I have never seen a 700 model so I don't know for sure.
Having said all that, I would be tempted to bolt on the 700 carbs as they are & just see how the bike runs before you start swapping jets etc. Depending on what altitude you live at & your general climate you may well find the bike runs OK. No point in spending lots of money on jets if you can get away with leaving the originals alone. Take the bike for a good run & take one of the plugs out to see if it's running too weak or too rich. You need to be looking for a brownish-grey colour. White means too weak & black is too rich.
Hope this helps, if you need any more information then let me know & i'll try to help.:beerchug:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts