Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would someone please post a video on youtube (or elsewhere) showing how to remove the carbs. That would be a major asset we can point to when we suggest carb cleaning. I haven't done it yet; what we need is carb removal done by someone who has done it several times before (an expert). Cindy?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Would someone please post a video on youtube (or elsewhere) showing how to remove the carbs. That would be a major asset we can point to when we suggest carb cleaning. I haven't done it yet; what we need is carb removal done by someone who has done it several times before (an expert). Cindy?
I second the motion. I have read the manual procedure and looked at all the pics in the book and here, and feel pretty confident I could do a teardown, cleaning and rebuild. That said, I would still like to see a video of the procedure before starting, if one was available. :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
I'd be delighted to pitch into the effort, but I have absolutely no clue as to how to work a video camera. Never had one in my life - even the film kind! Anyone near Frederick, MD who knows how to run a vid recorder?

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Dang it. If I was close, I'd volunteer. And I'm kind of shocked.

Well, I guess I shouldn't be shocked. If you've never used one, you might think that you wouldn't know how. It's not much different from a camera - charge the battery, pull the lens cap off, put a tape in (or whatever they use now), and push record.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Pulling and cleaning carbs is as easy as working a video camera. Unless you've never done it, which doesn't make it hard, just unknown.

The step by step in the Clymers is ok, and worked for me my first time. The one thing not in the Clymers, that would surely be captured on video would be all the cuss words. Other than that, it's about the same. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
The step by step in the Clymers is ok, and worked for me my first time. The one thing not in the Clymers, that would surely be captured on video would be all the cuss words. Other than that, it's about the same. ;)
True, true! Maybe we should all pitch to write that 'addendum' to the Clymer's and have DMAG put it in a "restricted" section of the Verses!

·
Registered
802 Posts
I guess that's the reason the neighbors keep their kids inside when they see me getting ready to work on, well anything.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm not from Missouri, but like others, I learn best by "show me." I think the child development people call it "modeling."

If I use the service manual, I have to pull the tank and everything associated with the airbox. I don't think that's the best way. I want to see it done.

PS - I got off my meds so that I'll get angry enough to just do it. Can't afford to take it in to the shop. So I'm apologizing in advance if I "go off" on anybody.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
I pulled my tank, but I left that rectangular air box that runs just above the engine....

But whatever works best for you is what you go with. I'd video it if I had to do it, (knock wood), but I'm not generous enough to go out and do it just for filming. Sorry. And I don't have a second bike, Vulcan or otherwise. ;)

It's kind of surprising nobody has done it yet, or at least a step-by-step photo instruction. There are two kinds of Vulcan riders; those who have pulled the carbs, and those who will.

Good luck.

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
I'd do it but I don't have the airbox left. so getting in there isn't nearly as cramped. Maybe I can find one close that is still intact? But then I'd have to find that 12 year old with the camera to film it.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Ernie, you can certainly pull the carbs with the airbox on, but there are still a bunch of steps you'll want to take before trying that - ears off, tank off, wiring harness unhooked completely so that you can slide if off the top of the airbox (thereby giving yourself a little more room to maneuver), coolant hoses drained and off (giving you more room to maneuver on the other side of the box). But if we had a Restricted Addendum for Carb Removal Procedure, it would have in bold type, "Removal of the airbox will greatly minimize your need to use the words and behaviors in the following pages."

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
I didn't pull my coolant lines either.....jeez, I might could have saved several cuss words it seems....

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
The main problem with shooting a good video of something like this is that it requires 2 people and it requires the person pulling the carbs to do it at least twice. The first time is shot wide so that you get the overall picture of what's going on and the second time is shot tight or zoomed in to the carbs and parts themselves so you get the details of what is going on. From there it takes someone to edit it all together. When I did the very short video of putting the bike on the center stand, it took about 4 takes. Not because I couldn't get the bike on the stand, but because of lighting, getting the motion of my right hand close up, then left hand close up, and then the motion of smoothly getting the bike on the stand.

I was a video journalist before I went through my midlife crisis early and joined the Navy. Doing a good job on a video is no accident.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So how much do you figure it will cost me to get it done at the shop?

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
I agree with Cindy. I know a guy who took Honda Twin cyl CBxx to a shop for them to R&R the carbs for cleaning and he was paying about $350

There's a good place in TX to send your carbs to for overhauling that charges about $300.

So around $400 doesn't sound unrealistic.

I'd call around and ask a few places before dropping the bike just anywhere-there'll also be the issue of how long will they have it.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, I've decided to take off the carbs in my spare time (which is all the time, since Feb. 29th). But, I've taken everything off, and can't get the carbs out. What should I do? Maybe a strap hooked to a come-along? Any advice?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts