Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a major problem. My bike fell over the other day. When I fired the bike up it ran real crappy. This past sunday a friend and I took the carbs off and cleaned them with carb cleaner. Took the jets out and cleaned them. Found some crud in the left carb bowl. Then we put it all back togather. We even took apart the pet cock and cleaned it. Last of all I dumped the tank and found a whole bunch of crud in the gas from the tank. I had a spare tank that was clean and I put that on and put in some new fuel. Before we removed the carbs the bike would run like crap until I opened it up and then it would scream like normal. At lower rpms it would run like crap. Now that we cleaned the carbs the tables have switched. New it starts up great and runs good around town at low rpms but when you get on it, it wants to cut out like its starved for gas. Ive check vac hoses and as far as I can see all looks ok. Should I pull the carbs again and clean it or what. I dont know what the problem is.. Please Help:BLAM:

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Seafoam, run it through. If that doesn't do it, pull the carbs again.

AND, if that doesn't do it, then we'll go on to something else, unless someone else here knows the fix.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I think it was Dianna who mentioned .... turning the gas off while riding, let the bike start to sputter, then turn it back on. Do this several times if necessary. It might help clear any pieces of anything stuck in the carbs.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I would venture that the pilot jets were clogged at first and now the main jet is clogged, check them again.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
You don't mention if you have an ear shave. If not, the vent hose that goes into the right ear must NOT bottom out or you bike will not run right at higher rpms

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Very small vacuum leaks can cause the problem you detailed at higher rpms. Since most of us don't know how old your bike is, it's harder to suggest things where age would more likely come into play.

Your intake manifolds (carb holders) are suspect especially since you just removed the carbs for cleaning. They become cracked with age and a small leak caused by removing the carbs from old manifolds can cause you all kinds of headaches. Nice thing though, if you fiddle with it long enough without finding this type of leak, it generally becomes a large leak and easier to find soon enough. :D Hopefully, we find them before they cause permanent damage!

I'd suggest putting your location and bike model year in your sig.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My VN750 is a 1995 and I live in Arizona. My intake is stock no ear shave. As far as I can see the seal around the carb intake is sealed as well as where it goes in to the cylinder head. I also checked the upper seal that goes into the main air chamber. One of the posts refered to the vac hose on the right side bottoming out Im not sure what he ment by that statement. However I performed a coaster job no my bike to get rid of the pop I was getting. The coastering work well. Thats the only mod Ive done to the engine. I tried moving the spark plugs around to see if the problem followed the spark plug, however it made no change. Its like my secondary jet is cloged. However it could be something else I just dont know what. If I cant solve the problem by this weekend I will be pulling the carbs again. I forgot to mention that when cleaning the carbs last weekend I did not split them and clean the float area. Prob crud in thier also.:doh:

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
If the hose going into the bottom of the right ear is bottomed out your bike will NOT RUN RIGHT. If you take it off and look at where is goes with a trouble light, you will see pushing it all the way up will block it off. The hose is used to equalize the pressure in the carbs. If it is plugged your carbs will have a pressure imbalance preventing proper gas and air flow.

In the versers the recomendation is to cut the end of the hose at a 45 degree angle to prevent this problem.

It still could be a cloged jet as well - just try the easy stuff first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts