Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is running rough while riding, seems to idle fine though. It is almost as if it at times it is starving for gas but doesn't die but you can feel it kind of drop in power and then kick back in, not while accelerating but while running at a steady speed, but again idle is fine when not moving. It starts fine and never actually dies. I originally thought it was the spark plugs as the one on the right side of the rear cylinder arcs and you can actually see the spark jumping around. I know the wires need to be replaced but now the past couple of days I have been getting a lot more backfiring and it seems to popping either out of the carbs or the front of the exhaust where it comes out of the engine. I cannot really tell for sure. Any clue about what is happening and where I should look first?

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
The sparking/arcing wires are most likely your problem. You're losing "oomph" as it arcs, and then the plug isn't going to fire correctly - and you'll have a loss of power overall. Try using electrical tape to insulate the wire, then see if it runs better. You prob'ly should take off the NEG battery lead first - just 'cause it's electricity and all. :)

·
Registered
572 Posts
ya my bike did this last week... idk about the spark jumping thing but it def. acted the same way. it just kinda came out of it tho lol

·
Registered
387 Posts
I agree with Cindy. You will lose a lot of your spark through the arcing. Which will lead to less fuel being burned correctly which leads to increased backfiring. Wrap the plug cables in electrical tape as a temp fix. Get them replaced soon.
Also a dose of Seafoam couldn't hurt. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts