Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I put my '86 in the shop for leaking fork seals. They ofered to clean my carbs. They say that it will run better. It costed about $50. It was worth it. It runs so much better now. It is just so smooth. I am really happy.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
wonder if they just took off the carbs and sprayed them down with carb cleaner of if they did more ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
O no thay did way more. If u did it, You would be amazed. They adjusted them and adjusted the time chaine tectioners. Being an '04, u don't have to.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I called to Motorcycle Mall near to me and asked how much it's gonna cost to clean and adjust carbs on my 1992 and the guy said about 300-400 bucks. Mother of God. You're lucky guys who paid 50 buck. I'm really upset cause I cannot pay 400 for service and that would be a stupid thing to do I guess, well I can't do that by myself yet - never did that before. I'll probably clean them, but what about adjusting? Is that o tough job?

·
Registered
19 Posts
They're Kawasaki dealers. They're first in the list of closest Kawasaki dealers that I took from the kawasaki.com, the second closest dealer said around the same price - not less than 300. That cr..p is probably because the weather recently got so much better in NJ so whole lot of people want their bikes served this days.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Wow, that is pricey, time to start calling some independant shops, maybe there are some good dirt bike or racing guys in your area that have a small shop that would have a better price.

·
Geek
872 Posts
Kornolio - let me know if you find one.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
$50! Ok, now I gotta ask.. Where are you?!?
Dealers are NOT known for having the best service prices around, nor do the best work.
For the $50 I strongly suspect they did not take the carbs off the bike. Sounds more like a spray clean, flush and sync. Syncing up the carbs will make a big difference. I could see that done for $50

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
You could also try Seafoam in your tank, It cleans as you drive and works better than Stabil. Little bit in your tank every couple of fills and works good. You can find it at most auto stores, Napa, Murreys, Lee

·
Registered
13 Posts
No, mine was just over $200 here in Southwestern Virginia, no way they would remove carbs, clean and re-install for less than that. If I had more time I would have removed them from the bike myself, so Kornolio you might think about doing that. I will add that the dealer said they use a computer to sync the carbs, and that you can't do in your yard.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I used Seafoam and it helped. Well, after 3 days or about 50 miles it got back to 1 cyl at low rpm. Hell, I don't understand that. How the hell it works? What I did. I turned the fuel petcock off and completely drained both carbs. Then I filled them with the seafoam through the two fuel feeding tubes. I left it for a couple hours to soak that cr..p. Then drained seafoam out of carbs (I think I saw something like little pieces of some crapy black precipitants in that seafoam). Then attached all the tubes and started up with 2 cyls - I was happy. Like I said, it vent back to 1 cyl today morning. Well, another thing I don't understand, I put 100 miles on the cycle today - riding fast, and when I finally got stock in trafic for about an hour, 2 cylinders worked just fine. This is like a big freaking puzzle for me.
I also put some seafoam in the tank. I'm affraid that it will collect all the bad stuff in the tank and put it through the carbs so they like gonna be dirty anyway - will you clean them or not, until you get really clean gas tank.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Not that this is the right thread, but I really, really suggest you just take the carbs completely off and clean them out. It will be rough the first time but you will learn a lot about your bike and feel more confident working on it in the future. You can also look into inline fuel filters if your tank is rusty. They're about $2 a piece and you'll need two. Seriously.

·
Super Moderator
11,824 Posts
Haha this is a five year old thread. I am pretty sure they all got their carbs straight
"kornolio" was a member only from 3/06 to 6/06...do not think we have heard from "750freak" for awhile either.......

hell, they likely sold or crashed their bikes by now...

If you don't let your carbs get dirty , you don't have to take them off and clean them.................;)

KM

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
"kornolio" was a member only from 3/06 to 6/06...do not think we have heard from "750freak" for awhile either.......

hell, they likely sold or crashed their bikes by now...

If you don't let your carbs get dirty , you don't have to take them off and clean them.................;)KM
Most people don't take the time to add fuel conditioner to thier fuel during winter storage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts