Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
Fine for those too poor to spring for the extra buck and a half a can of Gumout costs over the price of a bottle of vinegar.

I try also to avoid getting water in my carbs... Bikes have tiny jets and Cre

crevices it likes to hide in.

Vinegar is basically accedic (sp?) acid... Which oxidizes aluminum.

So..... I vote not to use it.

KM

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Fine for those too poor to spring for the extra buck and a half a can of Gumout costs over the price of a bottle of vinegar.

I try also to avoid getting water in my carbs... Bikes have tiny jets and Cre

crevices it likes to hide in.

Vinegar is basically accedic (sp?) acid... Which oxidizes aluminum.

So..... I vote not to use it.

KM
X2 on that. Gumout or a $6.49 can of SeaFoam would be my choice.

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was just curious as to the effectiveness of this versus the carb-soaking "paint can" stuff you can get that comes with the strainer.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
Was just curious as to the effectiveness of this versus the carb-soaking "paint can" stuff you can get that comes with the strainer.
Not a clue there..... Never used either... Just Gumout and maybe a mason jar to soak small parts overnight.

An airhose or air- can to blow out those tiny holes, and a thin strand of steel wire to poke the stubborn ones with.

KM

·
Registered
137 Posts
I bought 5 quarts of Lemon Juice and boiled all the carb parts...... I should have taken before and after pics....... just amazing and all the brown and black gunk floats to the top :smiley_th boiled for about 20 minutes then rinsed off in a cool water mixed with baking soda....( to stop the acid process)

I used some berrymans carb cleaner to give it a quick clean before the boil but I think the lemon juice method did a better job.

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting. I would have never thought to use lemon juice.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I bought 5 quarts of Lemon Juice and boiled all the carb parts...... I should have taken before and after pics....... just amazing and all the brown and black gunk floats to the top :smiley_th boiled for about 20 minutes then rinsed off in a cool water mixed with baking soda....( to stop the acid process)

I used some berrymans carb cleaner to give it a quick clean before the boil but I think the lemon juice method did a better job.
Qweesy, Why did you give out that information? Now all the supermarkets will be running out of lemon juice and I won't be able to make lemonade this summer. Thanks alot. LOL :doh:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Qweesy, Why did you give out that information? Now all the supermarkets will be running out of lemon juice and I won't be able to make lemonade this summer. Thanks alot. LOL :doh:
hhahahaaha,....... you can always squeeze some lemons:) lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts