Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.
I posted a message in the carbs section. I probably did this wrong and I am sorry for not posting in correct area.

I am letting you all know about a guy I have met that has a awesome talent and service for us. He is a kawasaki mechanic that has perfected a cleaning and rebuild service for motorcycle carbs. He has worked on bikes for 30 years and is now working out of his garage in Smith Mountain Lake in south central Virginia. He is an amazing guy. I have learned a lot from him.

I took my bike down to him for him to do some adjusting on my bike due to me not knowing what kind of maintenance had been done on my bike previous to me getting it. He found a couple air passages clogged and ended up keeping my carbs and ultrasonic cleaning them and resetting my float levels and such. I installed carbs and was amazed at how much power I had missing before. He does some amazing work. and is extremely reasonable. Check out his web site and pass the word to anyone who is needing this type of service.

Thanks for reading this and I hope this helps someone out there.

Jeff

you can reach Steve at www.carbworx.com

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He charges $40.00 a carb to clean and reset float levels and make adjustments. I took carbs off because I have done it so many times now. lol and I reinstalled. I have already performed the shave so the air box was not an issue. He called me the day after I reinstalled carbs to check to make sure that I was happy with work and made sure that everything was operating properly. I would highly recommend if your carbs havent been cleaned in a while that you send him an email or call him. He is a great guy. You can tell when someone has a passion for something and he has a passion for this carb work.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
That is an *awesome* price!! Thanks for passing along the recommendation, too - good to know there's someone nearby who's using cutting-edge technology.

·
Bandito
160 Posts
Nm, answering my question on the other thread about this, just did see this one. Sounds like a good service, you think he would clean my carbs and do the ear shave for around $150.00?

·
Bandito
160 Posts
Im just talking about doing the main jets and pilot jets and resetting everything after the cleaning

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am sure he would. He is a whiz. I actually did ear shave before taking bike to him.

Give him a call and talk to him. He is a wealth of information and you will be extremely happy with his work. I have a couple of friends from here who are going to be going to him for carb work. His phone number is on his site also.

I highly recommend his services.

·
Bandito
160 Posts
Talked to Steve over the weekend, nice guy. Gonna send my carbs to him to get them cleaned, just gotta scrape up the money to buy materials needed to do the ear shave on my bike first.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Talk to steve about the ear shave -- He may have some ideas for some filters and such for you. Steve is such a great guy. I have been blessed by his expertise -- Just wait til you see what all he has coming up. He is working on some jet kits for our bikes that will be cheaper and MUCH better quality then the ones we are buying from other sources. Your bike will get up and go after he gets done with it. I am glad you got in touch with him. He is a awesome guy. Please let me know how it goes.

Jeff

·
Bandito
160 Posts
We talked about the new flow jets, he currently doesn't have them or I would get him to do it, I need to buy the parts and send them with the carbs so we can do it all at the same time. Since he takes the jets out anyway for the cleaning he doesn't charge extra to put in the new ones, pretty sweet deal, he will also do some other things to the carbs to bring them back to life, all for $80. Not bad indeed.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
We talked about the new flow jets, he currently doesn't have them or I would get him to do it, I need to buy the parts and send them with the carbs so we can do it all at the same time. Since he takes the jets out anyway for the cleaning he doesn't charge extra to put in the new ones, pretty sweet deal, he will also do some other things to the carbs to bring them back to life, all for $80. Not bad indeed.
Don't forget to buy new float chamber and jet cover o-rings, $50.00-$60.00 No point in rebuilding them and using old o-rings.

This is also a good time to replace the plastic fuel inlet elbows that crack and leak fuel everywhere with the replacement brass inlet elbows. Kawasaki wants $40.00-$50.00 each but you can buy the same part from Harley Davidson for $12.50 each. H-D P/N 27371-76A Yes they are Factory Keihin parts made in Japan, just in a H-D bag. :beerchug:

·
Kawika
441 Posts
This is also a good time to replace the plastic fuel inlet elbows that crack and leak fuel everywhere with the replacement brass inlet elbows. Kawasaki wants $40.00-$50.00 each but you can buy the same part from Harley Davidson for $12.50 each. H-D P/N 27371-76A Yes they are Factory Keihin parts made in Japan, just in a H-D bag. :beerchug:
nice advice, I didn't know they came out, otherwise I would have replaced them...do they fit like the petcock elbows? Do they twist or pull straight out?

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
nice advice, I didn't know they came out, otherwise I would have replaced them...do they fit like the petcock elbows? Do they twist or pull straight out?
Unfortunatly they are not like the petcock elbows, the factory inlets are plastic with a brass insert. This is where the problem lies, the plastic cracks where they are joined. Once you remove the plastic you can grasp the rim of the brass with vise grips and remove. Some are stubborn and require a removal tool to extract the brass insert.

Link below to make extration tool, instead of heating the carb body to ease installation of new elbow place new elbow in the freezer for atleast 12 hrs. You must place elbow in the same exact position !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.johnsmotorcycleparts.com/fuel_elbow.htm

·
Kawika
441 Posts
good to know, in case one of those buggers break...I thought the carbs might be junk upon the plastic breaking.
:beerchug:

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
$40 per carb is not a bad deal, especially compared to the $150 per carb that the local stealer dealer charges. I would highly recommend this service to anyone not familiar with carb work, it would be really easy to do a lot more than $40 dollars worth of damage if you don't know what you are doing.

If you are mechanically inclined and want to learn, practice on junk.

I don't really see the point of having this guy rejet the carbs for the earshave thing, or aftermarket pipes, unless he knows exactly what jets to put in. Jetting is usually done by trial and error, unless some company has already done the trial and error, and come up with jet kits for different pipes, like Factory and Dyno-Jet. Jerry.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was impressed with the cleaning and the work that was performed on my carbs. As far as jetting -- I myself have been reading links and suggestions from guys on VN750.com who have rejetted their carbs -- I selected my jet sizes from their recommendations and my altitude above sea level and such. I installed the jets I selected before meeting Steve at www.carbworx.com. After cleaning carbs and setting float levels and all we have ran my engine and checked plugs and from reading plugs the jets that we are using are pretty right on.

If you get time go to www.carbworx.com and read what Steve has posted concerning how carburation theory and operation of carbs. also description of what he does in ultrasonic and carb cleaning adjusting procedure. I am a Very satisfied VN750 owner.

In my opinion as a 12 year automotive tech and as a previous race car driver. I have seen benefits of horse power gains from adding air flow using K&N type air filters and making jet adjustments when necessary. There is a wealth of information from others on this site that they have shared because of the trial and error and success in carb jetting and adjustments. I am glad to have this great resource and I hope that we keep helping each other. I am not a motorcycle mechanic. but because of this site and the awesome willingness of those on here to share their info and there expertise and experience I have been greatly blessed and have made many changes to my bike.

Thank you all for your input and for sharing information and vendors that have been helpful to you as you continue to gain more performance from your VN 750s -- I am glad that people here are sharing information and ideas about what is good and what might be issues in our forum. It helps all of us become better at what we do and helps each of us make the best decisions for our bikes for whatever changes or upgrades that we decide that we want or NEED to do. lol

Merry Christmas to all.

·
Bandito
160 Posts
My parts for the carbs should be here on January 5th, then I am shipping the carbs to Steve for cleaning and upgrading. Can't wait.

Bought this bike 3 months ago, will finally be able to get it started and running next month!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Mellow,
Let me know how your carb cleaning and rejetting comes out. Steve is a awesome carb guy. I have enjoyed some of the things he did on my carbs. I know you will be happy with his work. If you find others that need a good carb cleaning and adjustment -- tell them about Steve.

Look forward to hearing about how your carbs came out.

·
Bandito
160 Posts
I got my carbs back from Steve yesterday, he did an awesome job on them! I even had some issues with them I did not know about and he spent the extra time on them and got them right even though he was not paid the extra to do so. The carbs I sent to him were dirty and had been really neglected, the carbs I got back from steve look a heck of alot better, dare I say almost new looking. He put in the jets and all the seals I sent him and even pressure checked the floats to make sure they are ok. He set my air mixture to what he felt should be pretty close, but without the bike understandably he can't get it perfect.

I shipped my carbs to him and had them back all within a week, shipping took 2 days to get there and 2 days back, nice fast turn around.

Now to get these suckers on the bike!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got my bike out of garage today for a few hours of riding. Awesome 55 degrees here in central VA. My carbs ran perfect. Lots of power and smooth after being cleaned by steve. Steve just did my buddies Suzuki bandit carbs. Cant wait for my buddy to get them back on so we can go riding.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts