Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, I mistakenly ran carb cleaner into the vacuum line on the front carburetor, the one that goes to the center port on the petcock on my 87 vn750. I did not understand the routing of the lines from the petcock, unfortunately. Any opinions on what needs to be done, if anything? I'm hoping the fluid will just get sucked into the intake, but I am completely new to vulcan 750's. I attached a pic of the hoses involved. Your advice will be appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
It won't hurt anything, will just clean any surface it touches, like the carb throat, butterfly, etc.

Some carb cleaners will melt certain types of synthetic carb parts, but I haven't seen that on this engine. That is mostly older small engines, can melt the tip off the float valve.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It won't hurt anything, will just clean any surface it touches, like the carb throat, butterfly, etc.

Some carb cleaners will melt certain types of synthetic carb parts, but I haven't seen that on this engine. That is mostly older small engines, can melt the tip off the float valve.
+1 here, it shouldn't do any damage.

·
Alpha Geek
487 Posts
I disagree: carb cleaner absolutely can and will damage (1) the air cut valve diaphragms and (2) the slide diaphragms. I've seen and fixed enough to know. Neither are cheap to replace.

In this case, it's probably fine if it's just the one time. In the future, it's best to ride it including engine braking ASAP if this happens to clear any solvents before they can sit on the delicate rubber too long.

·
Super Moderator
2,569 Posts
should have no problems with the carb cleaner going into that hose.

if I recall, that vacuum port is on the cylinder side of the throttle plates, so very little, if any cleaner will get to the delicate parts of the carb

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
should have no problems with the carb cleaner going into that hose.

if I recall, that vacuum port is on the cylinder side of the throttle plates, so very little, if any cleaner will get to the delicate parts of the carb
That's the reason it won't clean much except the throat, intake valve, and combustion chamber. The jets will never see the carb cleaner that way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts