Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sold my 86, was riding with the new owner. did about a 100 miles stopped at the house and topped off the oil. went to restart and it backfired and caught fire at the right ear, got it put out but melted the housing a little. am looking for a new set (both sidess) of filter housings but more importantly what would have been the cause so it doesnt happen again. carbs were recently cleaned ,has new iridium plugs?????????? any ideas

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Crazy! I'll see if I saved the set I just yanked off my 1990. If I do you can have them for cost of shipping. I'll check later today.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Well this kinda sort happened to me with an old Volvo. Changed the timing belt an got the timing 180 degrees backward. Ever had your head inside the hood and had an engine backfire out of the air intake? Couldn't hear for days.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Fuel vapor coming out of the vent hose, something clicks (maybe a relay in that area?) and starts a fire? May need to check out electrical. Spooky stuff!

Also if thtanner doesn't have spare ears I do and will let 'em go for shipping, too.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
The ears from the 90 went strait in the trash :/

That being said, I did find another, cleaner, set I had stashed away. K&N filters, too.

If needed, let me know.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im going to see if the new owner can sign up to the site, might take him a few to get approved. dont think he spends much time on computers either. he has been riding it since but could use the ears and left bracket for the ear which is probably attached to it anyways

1 - 6 of 6 Posts