Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Rebel without a pause
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, merry Christmas, y'all.

Just got a replacement set of carbs and I've decided that so long as I'm pulling the bike apart to put them on, I might as well get the old girl breathing better. I'm looking at a set of v&h cruzers and an ear shave. I've read about how to reject for each procedure individually, but since I'm doing both at once, I was wondering if anyone knew what size jets to go for.

Ear shave is so common and the cruzers so popular, I figure some of you guys have done both. What do you guys suggest?

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
no need to re-jet for the pipes just go with the re-jet recommendation specs for the ear shave and you will be happy

i havent done the shave yet but i am running stock jets with the air fuel screws at 2 1/2 turns with the cruzers and the only thing that has changed about the bike is the better sound :)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
It was highly recommended to rejet with 142/42's and 2 shims under needles when I did ear shave. I followed their advice and have been very pleased with results.

·
Rebel without a pause
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The saga continues...

Upon further inspection, my throttle cable hangers were JB welded on. Quick call to the shop and the resident "expert" tells me I ought to sell the bike. Says that I'll need new carbs, which cost around $800.

To ebay I go, picked up carbs in good shape for $125.

Ordered shims, jets, filters, coasters.

Might as well put the new exhaust on while I wait for the UPS man, right?

45 minutes later, I bust an exhaust manifold stud tightening the last acorn nut.

Swear loudly, kick something, repeat with the voice of my father echoing in my head, "torque wrench....TOOOORRQUUUE WREEENCH!".

I've been showering the the thing in PB Blaster all week. There's enough of a stud left for me to get some channel locks on it. Maybe this weekend I'll be able to get some miles in, provided I don't break something else.

EDIT: My old hippie neighbor came over and mumbled something about needing to synch the new carbs before he began pawing through my record collection. Am I going to have to go buy manometer and all that jazz?

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
The saga continues...

Upon further inspection, my throttle cable hangers were JB welded on. Quick call to the shop and the resident "expert" tells me I ought to sell the bike. Says that I'll need new carbs, which cost around $800.

To ebay I go, picked up carbs in good shape for $125.

Ordered shims, jets, filters, coasters.

Might as well put the new exhaust on while I wait for the UPS man, right?

45 minutes later, I bust an exhaust manifold stud tightening the last acorn nut.

Swear loudly, kick something, repeat with the voice of my father echoing in my head, "torque wrench....TOOOORRQUUUE WREEENCH!".

I've been showering the the thing in PB Blaster all week. There's enough of a stud left for me to get some channel locks on it. Maybe this weekend I'll be able to get some miles in, provided I don't break something else.

EDIT: My old hippie neighbor came over and mumbled something about needing to synch the new carbs before he began pawing through my record collection. Am I going to have to go buy manometer and all that jazz?
l

You can build your own manometer for < than $10.00...search the threads on the How to's.....
...maybe Search "Carb Sync"....

tubing
a Yard stick
oil

:smiley_th

·
Rebel without a pause
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pipes are on, loud as hell.

Put in new jets, go to adjust fuel/air mix screws...

Plug? What is this plug?

A quick forum search later...

Am I going to have to take a drill to these things? Is there a way of getting to the screws that is less potentially destructive?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Some suggestions I have read are to drill a small hole and try to pry them out or put a drywall screw in there and then pull the screw and plug out together. I guess I was lucky and mine were already out.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Some suggestions I have read are to drill a small hole and try to pry them out or put a drywall screw in there and then pull the screw and plug out together. I guess I was lucky and mine were already out.
X2 I drilled a small hole and then plucked the cap out with a sharp awl.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
I'd think you could punch a hole in the plug with something like a thin finishing nail, cock it sideways and pop it out. That's how I got them out of auto carbs and throttle bodies.

Don't want to hit the screw that's behind it.

The plug is the same setup as a freeze plug on a car engine, if you've ever had to deal with one of those. I get the freeze plugs turned sideways a little, then bite with vise-grips and lever them out with the vise-grips against the block.

The air screw plug is a lot smaller and the aluminum body a lot weaker on the VN carb. Maybe turn it sideways and use needle-nose pliers to pull it. Mash it to make it small enough to come out if you need to. They're fairly thin and weak. It can't fall inside.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts

·
Rebel without a pause
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
All right, update the next.

The new carbs have new jets, fuel/air screws have been exposed, seated, and backed out.

Ears are gone, surge tank/air box thing is cut to pieces and lying on the garage floor next to the old carbs that were, come to find, held together with JB weld.

New carbs sitting pretty on the bike with spiffy K&N filters, throttle and choke cables attached and adjusted, reed valves plugged.

Now about all these damn hoses...

I've been pouring over different threads, pictures, verses, and I'm still a bit lost.

The hose that connects to the "T" coupling, should I stick a breather filter on it, or leave it loose under the tank somewhere?

The two fuel hoses, I have them running to the two outer nipples on the fuelcock. Fuel cock has a third nipple, vacuum line from the carb nearest goes there, but what about the other vacuum line? Cap it?

Beware, beware my friends, of starting a job on Tuesday and trying to finish it on Wednesday.

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
I ran the vent line into the backbone tube under the tank. The vacuum nipple on the right side should be capped. Other than that I think you have it covered!!

·
Rebel without a pause
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got everything put together. Fired up on the first crank, no choke, no starter fluid.

Happy dance in the mountains.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
TLK, I can only hope when it's my turn my bike cranks up so easily. So how does it ride now??? lot'sa power?

·
Rebel without a pause
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Better breathing can't makeup for small displacement, but there is a definite difference.

Besides easier starting looking better, the bike pulls harder. I've only had it up to 75 once since the shave and at that speed I was still at 5k rpm in 5th gear, but if I wanted, I could hook it and go. Over all the bike just feels beefier.

If you are the least bit technically inclined, do it. A partner as technically proficient as you or better is strongly recommended, if nothing else, to keep you motivated and on task. I could've had the whole thing done much quicker if I didn't get frustrated and walk away from the project every hour or so.

Shaving the ears makes the bike run better and removes a needlessly complicated and inefficient system from your scoot.

If you google for 06vn750, you'll find voipdoc's (I think) blog. As of this post, he has two entries, one about drilling out clutches and the other is the ear shave, I followed his instructions. They're solid for the most part, but assume more than a basic familiarity with the bike.

There were a couple of times when I found my self looking back and forth from my bike to his instructions and asking myself what the hell I was doing.

I could've saved myself some grief by just taking a lot of pictures, especially of where all the hoses go.

Take some time to learn about adjusting all your cables, too. Because you'll be doing that once you get everything back together.

If the sun ever shines again, I'll put the bike through its paces proper and report back. Also, pics.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts