Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Can't wait to join the Darkside!

10K views 49 replies 18 participants last post by  new rider 9984 
#1 ·
So my VN700 has some pretty worn tires on it and I've been researching replacement tires. I just can't get enough of this Darkside movement and have decided I must join it! I found this tire (Nexen SB802 165/80R15) at Walmart for $52 and have it on order:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nexen-11766NXC/19473481

I also plan on moving up to a 110/90-19 up front. What's the best price for a decent tire of that size? It'll probably be at least a week before Walmart gets that tire shipped, but I'll update this thread when I've got it and hopefully get it seated without too much trouble.

Anyone else running a Nexen 165/80R15?

#2 ·
I don't think there's much of a "movement" here to go to the Darkside.

Good luck, but you won't catch me doing it.....

#3 ·
That tire is going to fit on the stock rear rim?
And I'd say a decent tire you can normally find for $100-125

#6 ·
I think a car tire on the 750 is really not needed. The reason being the stock rear tire can go for a good 15,000 miles. As much riding as many put on the bike each year, this might be about 4 years before that is reached.

Given it a car tire or motorcycle tire, it should be replaced every five years. You might get 20,000 miles out of that car tire, but if you're a seasonal rider and only put on 3-4000 miles a year....you'll still need to replace it at five years anyway. So just don't see the advantage when you can get a motorcycle tire for about the same price as a decent car tire.

Now if you have a bike that eats rear tires up quickly (like my 1300) it might be a logical idea.........

#7 ·
Thanks for the link, Ceal. And Knife, I hear you. I'm not all too concerned with getting 40,000 miles out of my rear tire. I just enjoy doing less than traditional things and everything I've read about the Darkside from those who have done it has been positive. Surprisingly, Walmart already has my tire in stock so I'll be picking it up soon and hopefully mounting it later today.

#8 ·
i got my 110/90/19 shinko 712 off of motorcyclesuperstore.com for 48.99 plus 6.99 shipping and my rear tire is the shinko 722r got it from the same guys for 86.99 same shipping costs

#9 ·
Wow. That was harder than I thought it would be. But, the tire is on, the bead is seated and everything's put back together. Can't test it yet since it's pouring outside, but I took some pictures of the two tires for comparison. The old tire was a 150/90-15.

Attachments

#11 ·
Look at the thread I posted before. Baldy gives some nice reviews!

If I recall correctly, everything works a lot better (in both straights and corners), but the very first time you get on it, it does feel a little weird. Nothing that a few miles won't fix though ;)

#12 ·
Just rode it about 10 miles this morning and to be honest it didn't feel much different. I didn't ride agressively through any turns since it was a little wet and the tire is new, but it felt smooth all the way to over 100 MPH, indicated of course.

#16 ·
Does look different, but that's what makes it unique.
I love to be different. That was probably the main reason I did it. That and I'm really cheap.

I'd have tried a 165/75 R15...or even a 70...slightly lower profile, as it seems yer new one is taller
Doing the math for the stock tire and the car tire I got, the car tire should be 6mm shorter. My new tire is slightly taller than the old one, but that's comparing a brand new tire to a worn-out one. I think I got the perfect size.

I think I'll stick to motorcycle tires. Maybe a little more expensive, but I think they are safer
I'm certainly not trying to convince anyone to do this. Please do what you think best. I will say that I'm loving this car tire on the rear. It feels great! I figured there were probably several people who have thought about doing this, so I wanted to post my experience with it. And if anyone else decides they want to try it, be prepared to have fun seating that bead (it took me about 115 PSI)!

#14 ·
165/80R15
I'd have tried a 165/75 R15...or even a 70...slightly lower profile, as it seems yer new one is taller, not that there isnt room for it....one thing a taller profile will do though, is lower your RPMs at the same speeds, therefore, slightly better fuel milage....wondering too what the weight diff is...when we ran car tires on our Harleys, the car tires seemed a lot heavier, and therefore act as a flywheel...causing slower accelleration and longer stopping distances...but not noticably significant.

#15 ·
I think I'll stick to motorcycle tires. Maybe a little more expensive, but I think they are safer, and on the Vulcan more mileage wouldn't be that big of a deal, you have to remove the rear wheel to do the splines anyway. And I kind of like having new tires once in a while. My oem tires lasted for almost 10 years. I had to pull the wheel to do the splines right after I bought it, then put it back and put 20000 miles on the bridgestone rear tire. I can kind of see where it might make sense on a big touring bike like a Harley Electraglide or Goldwing, but it seems likr too much for a 750.

#17 ·
but that's comparing a brand new tire to a worn-out one. I think I got the perfect size.
Thats true also...was just going by the pics...

be prepared to have fun seating that bead (it took me about 115 PSI)!
Try the old "rope and pipe" trick... ;)

And either it was Old Dog or Old Hoss Canada that went dark...they seem to like it....

#32 ·
And either it was Old Dog or Old Hoss Canada that went dark...they seem to like it....
Don't think it was OD who went dark Wolfie, and it wasn't me. Not yet anyway, but I am seriously considering it when my steel pony gets the rear wheel re-shod next summer. I think there are still a few thousand miles left in the rear tire on the bike now.

Between Daniel Meyer's 100.000+ miles darkside on his Valkyrie and Craznurs 15.000 miles in the twisties on her vn700, plus a few hundred riders on the darkside forums who say they will never go back to motorcycle tires on the rear wheel of their cruisers/baggers, I am convinced to give it a try. :smiley_th I think I want a bias ply with a symmetrical tread pattern. Not sure what running a radial on the back with a bias ply on the front would do the bike's handling, but I know you are not supposed to mix them on a cage.

I need a new front tire now. The Vulcans came with bias ply tires as original equiptment.
Just to satisfy my curiosity, is there any reason NOT to put A PAIR of radial tires on the Vulcan?
Either a matched set of MT front and rear, or MT front and CT on the rear?
Anybody know if a 110/90-19 radial front tire is even available?

#19 ·
I totally forgot about that starting fluid trick! I've wanted to try that. And Wolfie, what's the "rope and pipe" trick?

#20 ·
The rope and pipe trick is to wrap a rope around the circumference of the tire and use a piece of pipe and twist the rope to tighten it to force the sides of the tire onto the bead, then you use air to finish seating it.
Works great on riding lawn mowers and older ATVs with the bigger tires.
Starting fluid works great, just have to be careful and not use too much. I had a guy seat a semi tire in Albuquerque a few years back. Laid it on the floor, shot about a half a can into the tire, and dropped a match to it. Picked the tire up off the floor about 6 inches, and scared the hell outta me.
Another thing you can do is pick up another rear wheel, and go buy a studded snow tire and mount it, and get a ski for the front end, and you will have a winter vehicle! That I would try. I had a ski kit for an old dirt bike I had, and you could go anywhere with it you could a sled. Only more fun.

#21 ·
The rope and pipe trick is to wrap a rope around the circumference of the tire and use a piece of pipe and twist the rope to tighten it to force the sides of the tire onto the bead, then you use air to finish seating it.
Works great on riding lawn mowers and older ATVs with the bigger tires.
I have always used a ratchet strap....same diff.
Never tried the Starting Fluid method.

WilliamTech

#23 ·
Money order in the mail up-date---

Again not today, will be a week tomorrow---All you got to do is make all this right!!

#24 ·
You guys have a whole thread to yourselves for this... or you can call him, PM him, etc.

I don't support him or what he did, but we shouldn't spring this onto other threads, some of which might be from new members and might get too annoyed by this.

#25 ·
I agree with Ceal....keep the crap in the crapper, eh ?....I realize some of you are ticked since he's still posting, but dont step in the dogsheit, then walk all around on the white shag either... ;)

#26 ·
Agreed. I will keep it in the original thread.

#27 ·
I agree somewhat, but also feel that new members are at this point most at risk! More than likely he will disapear and come back as some one else yet again. He is now PMing people wanting parts! Just trying to not only get my funds and others, but to keep ANYONE else from falling prey to this SCUM.

#29 ·
...see what I mean ???....I think any new member will already see all the threads and comments that exist...no reason to dirty up every thread with this mess...

Now..."Back to the Darkside" part deux....I DID notice, that when I had a car tire on my FLH/FX meld, I was able to roll up to stop signs, and rarely needed to put my foot down....*weg*....drives the cops crazy !!! They keep tryin to get ya for a "rolling stop" violation, lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.