Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. So I marbled it, replaced the exhaust gaskets with the H/D ones, and have the screws turned out 3 1/4 on the left, and 3 on the right, and it still backfires like crazy! Am I missing something?
It sounds like the left side is the worst. How far out can I turn thoses screws out?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
O.K. So I marbled it, replaced the exhaust gaskets with the H/D ones, and have the screws turned out 3 1/4 on the left, and 3 on the right, and it still backfires like crazy! Am I missing something?
It sounds like the left side is the worst. How far out can I turn thoses screws out?
Sounds like you still have an air leak somewhere.

Typically the fuel/air adjustment screws have about 5 full turns of threads before they fall out. (Confirm this figure on your carb.)
So you have a maximum of ~3 1/2 turns out for adjustment.
Lock the adjustment with a bit of silicone sealant on the threads so they don`t fall out.

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
Didn't someone say the HD gaskets didn't fit well and recommended the OEM ones? Could that be the problem?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Not 100% sure, but I think you can also get the backfires if the carb boots aren't properly seating/sealing/closing around the carb. Might want to check them.

I also did the marbling and I couldn't get the backfiring to stop... I suspect the carb boots cause I know I didn't install them right and you can tell by looking at them that air could pass through... however, I hate the air box so much that I don't even want to look at it, so I'm not taking out the carbs until I get the filters for the ear shave so I can take out that damned air box :)

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Didn't someone say the HD gaskets didn't fit well and recommended the OEM ones? Could that be the problem?
The H-D gaskets were recommended a long time ago, then someone said they were smaller in diameter, harder to keep in position while installing, and had a tendency to leak.

Since then I have been of the opinion that Ma Kaw`s exhaust gaskets are the ones to use on Kaw motorcycles. This is not based on any personal experiences, only on reading what others have said. Someone recommended the H-D crush gaskets again a few days ago. I didn`t want to be contrary, with no real evidence of my own, so let it pass to see how they worked out.

It is not clear at this point if the H-D gaskets are the cause of the continuing backfiring, or if it is something else. The jury is still out on the gaskets I guess.:confused:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pulled the left side pipe off and the new gasket looked like it didn't seat right. Think I'll just get the kawi gaskets insted. Also ordered coaster plates today. I'll let ya know how everything works out.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
If the carb boots were not seated I think the bike wouldn't idle right

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
curious, what do a pair of exhaust gaskets run?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
I used the HD gaskets.. and a bit of RTV around the gasket to hold it in place .. as I was told by the Late Great Ron/Lance....no leakes and a perfict fit!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used high temp sillycone, bit they must of moved when I was bolting them up. Probably not the gaskets fault, just mine.

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I really thought the exhaust gaskets would cost a lot more than $3.93. Now I'm definitely replacing mine when I get a chance!

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
We've had a few folks installing new pipes and introduced some serious popping. Turned out to be the new crush gaskets (don't remember which, OEM or Harley?) were a bit slimmer than the old ones and the cap nuts couldn't tighten down enough on the pipe to fully crush and seal before the cap nut bottomed out on the exhaust stud. Adding a washer or two cured the issue with at least a few members here. Washer under the cap nut, by the way.

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
Called the Kaw. shop here in Hickory and I can get a pair for $12 plus tax. That shipping on those sites is a rip, but I totally appreciate your help!!!
Steven

1 - 16 of 16 Posts