Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutch was grabbing 90% in the last 10% of lever travel. I wanted to see if I could make it smoother by performing the clutch adjustment procedure in the Clymer manual. When I was done, I could not shift out of neutral. Tried a few more adjustments but still can't shift out of neutral.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Is the engine running when you try to shift?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine not running.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
start it and try it while sitting on the bike.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Yeah, put it on the centerstand and spin the wheel a little, then start it up and see if you can shift it. It won't hurt to spin the wheel a little with it in gear and running. Just don't try to spin it at 60mph or something!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sitting on bike, with bike on center stand, engine running. can shift to first, but can't shift up... stays in neutral.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
OK, I assume you have let out the clutch and have the wheels turning in first before you pull in the clutch and try to shift to second, right? If you just pull in the clutch and shift into 1st but don't let out the clutch to get the wheels turning, the bike's positive neutral finder isn't supposed to allow you to shift through neutral into 2nd. So, did you let out the clutch and let the wheels spin before shifting into 2nd?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
X2 to fergy`s post. The rear wheel has to be turning at a certain minimum speed before the positive NF will allow you to shift into 2nd gear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Running the engine and shifting into gear with the bike on the center stand did the trick. Now shifts just fine. Thanks for the help, had no idea that's how it worked.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
We all had our first Kawasaki once! ;) Now you know what it means to have the KAW positive neutral finder. Once you shift down to stop at a light or park the bike, you can only shift into 1st or neutral when stopped. Keeps you from having to sit and "search" for either. Most of us find this to be an asset. Once you get used to it, I think it is. But when you ride another brand bike, you'll really miss it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts