Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what the correct tool is to unscrew the huge cover screw? I've bent two quarters trying to loosen it after spraying it with wd-40???

·
Registered
134 Posts
Mine was frozen. I had to use an impact wrench with a big Philips bit in it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
youn2433 said:
Can anyone tell me what the correct tool is to unscrew the huge cover screw? I've bent two quarters trying to loosen it after spraying it with wd-40???
The left side cover screw on my 2005 VN750 was so tight that a 12' screwdriver with an adjustable wrench couldn't move it. The dealer had to drill it out, run a tap in the threads to freshen them up. it was tapped undersize at the assembly plant and the screw forced in.

·
Registered
83 Posts
youn2433,

The side cover screws are designed to be loosened and tightened with the flat part of the ignition key, either the end or one side. The side works best.

If they are frozen in place from non-use, the key handle may not do it.

Maybe you can get some WD-40 on the screw threads by removing the seat and getting to the threads from the inside?

CD in Anadarko, OK

·
Registered
83 Posts
The key! Dang It[/I], the key is the trick! I would have never guessed. Mine aren't stuck and I have had them off a few times, but finding the right screwdriver so as not to mess up the screw head is a PIA!

I will tell everyone I know about the key trick. BTY have we mentioned this on the yahoo group? I may have missed that post.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I never thought about the key either. I always used some change, or a very large screw driver. But the key makes perfect sense. Reminds me of the M1 carbine. You can tear it down with a bullet casing. How clever. :)

Ride Safe
Wayne :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got it off by grinding down a large washer the same thickness as the key. I ground it until it was several inches wide and then with the help of wd-40 and vice grips was able to loosen it. Then applyed some grease on threads so it won't happen again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts