Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first major setback while trying to get through my used bike checklist.... I can't get the bike up on the center stand without help. I weigh about 130 and can balance fully on the stand lever when trying to pull it up but I just can't get there. Any pro tips for a lightweight?

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
My first major setback while trying to get through my used bike checklist.... I can't get the bike up on the center stand without help. I weigh about 130 and can balance fully on the stand lever when trying to pull it up but I just can't get there. Any pro tips for a lightweight?
This is a problem for many newbies but a large percentage are just too embarrassed to admit that they have the problem. You have to do it with a very fluid motion. Grab the seat under the rail and put your foot on the center stand side peg. As the peg touches the ground lift the seat while sliding the bike backwards. Once you do it correctly once or twice you will find it very easy. It is not really a muscle project when you know the secret. A little practice and you will be fine. Remember once you learn how you will start using the side kick stand constantly and the novelty of the center stand will fade. lol

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
This is a problem for many newbies but a large percentage are just too embarrassed to admit that they have the problem. You have to do it with a very fluid motion. Grab the seat under the rail and put your foot on the center stand side peg. As the peg touches the ground lift the seat while sliding the bike backwards still keeping foot pressure on the peg. Once you do it correctly once or twice you will find it very easy. It is not really a muscle project when you know the secret. A little practice and you will be fine. Remember once you learn how you will start using the side kick stand constantly and the novelty of the center stand will fade. lol

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
I've had mine since new ('06) and never could master the technique until within the past month or so. The secret seems counter-intuitive to me but it works. Do as Vulcan2000 says but I'll clarify one part more. Instead of "just" keeping foot pressure on the peg, PUSH DOWN HARD with your leg muscles. I mean get the thigh muscles into it. With that down pressure and your sliding the bike backwards, it'll pop right up. I would never have thought that you have to push down in order to get the bike up, but it works.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
They make pills for that...;)

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I've had mine since new ('06) and never could master the technique until within the past month or so. The secret seems counter-intuitive to me but it works. Do as Vulcan2000 says but I'll clarify one part more. Instead of "just" keeping foot pressure on the peg, PUSH DOWN HARD with your leg muscles. I mean get the thigh muscles into it. With that down pressure and your sliding the bike backwards, it'll pop right up. I would never have thought that you have to push down in order to get the bike up, but it works.
Add in the action of pulling upwards on the rear of the bike at the same time and it'll pop up even faster.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
I never could do it without help...the degree that I had to bend to grab the bike played havoc with my bad back.
My solution was I backed the bike part way up a small car ramp then just stood on the center stand tang. Anyone who weighs less than 150 lbs usually has a problem levering it up,

You can try backing up the rear tire onto a two by something if you don't have a ramp...

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
I'd post some pics and links to videos but wouldn't want to give poor KM a heart attack moderating them;)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Yeah, I'm glad nobody was around to witness my first dismal attempts with the center stand. Standing full-weight on the stand did nothing. Rocking the bike pretty forcefully backwards while standing full-weight on the stand would almost get the bike up on the stand, but not quite, and it was unstable enough that repeated attempts weren't worth the risk. Thankfully this forum had some tips.

My current technique is to grab under the side of the seat, bend your legs so you can get your back straight and perpendicular to the ground, then basically do a weight lifting squat, putting all your downward force on the stand pedal, as if you're trying to pull the stand & the bike apart instead of just lifting the weight of the bike. Pull mostly upwards but a little towards the rear of the bike to help it roll back into the resting position. Pops right up.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
The hand under the seat grab rail really helps. Doing that also lets you put more weight on the pedal than if you're leaning across to hold right hand grip.

My centerstand is slightly bent, which makes it harder to stand up.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
yup, pull up on the left side seat rail (right hand) while stepping down on center stand (right foot for me), with left hand on left handle bar for balancing bike, and it pops right up.

key is to pull up hard, while at same time pushing down hard. as mentioned before by thorn

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jeez. Sorry about the crap title. It's what I kept saying to myself.
I appreciate all the advice. I've tried several more times today and even watched a few videos. I just can't get it. It's pissing me off and making me feel like a huge sissy. My temporary solution is to park the rear tire on a piece of scrap wood. That seems to give me the last inch I need. Also, I have to be on the bike to get it on the stand. I know. Bad newbie. But it works for me! Anyway, thanks!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I use center stand every time I ride and return to garage as it's easier to confirm fluids in pre-check.

Pull up on chrome bar by seat while stepping on center stand. You can put your whole weight into it by lifting other foot up and picture whole body shifting with rearward momentum. It's NOT muscling it.

Don't give up. Super easy once you get it. I'm 180lb.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Whatever works for you is fine. The only reason to use the center stand is if you're going to remove one (or both of) the wheels, or check your steering head bearings. It wasn't a big deal for me to not master the ability to "get it up" as daily parking the bike the side stand does the job (actually better than the center stand)
So don't feel bad or get frustrated over the thing. If you found a way to do it, then you can do it if you have to...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I weigh about 95 kg (210lb) and my weight alone can't do the trick. For me the secret is to first get the 2 ends of the stand to touch the ground. Then put your full weight on it and pull up the seat rail. It should pop on the stand this way.
As Gidaeon wrote, it is the best way to check your fluids...

·
Registered
509 Posts
Getting it up

Like Old Dirty Doc says "They have pills for that".
Some keep saying to pull back on the bike. Don't worry about pulling back just put your weight on the center stand and pull up on the seat, the bike will come back on its own. Make sure it is in neutral so you don't have to turn the engine over.
Good luck.

Mcneuby

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
Here's a vid from Goldwingdocs.com.if they can get a 900lb 1500 up that easy a little seven-fitty should be easy;)

·
Expendable newbie
309 Posts
I bet all of you guys that I'm the smallest one here. I'm somewhere under 110 lbs and I could do it. If I could do it, then anyone can.

If you can't get it up, then I highly recommend that you get some assistance. And no, I'm not talking about some magical pill. That’ll just leave it stuck up there for hours. What you should do is have someone else help you lift up the bike as you try to put it on the center stand. Do this a couple of times so that you will at least get the body position and motion down. This will be very helpful as it will show you what you should and shouldn’t be doing.

As for the technique, I like to face the bike, put my left foot on the center stand, right foot on the ground, left hand holding the steering handle and use my right hand to lift up the bike. I start off with the bike straight and center stand touching the ground evenly and then in one motion I push down with my leg and lift up with my arm. You should be wearing a good pair of shoes when you do this. I found that it is harder to do it in flip-flops.

Like I say it is much easier to master this technique if you have someone else help you out with the lifting part in the beginning. You are using your arm and leg to lift the bike, not your weight.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
I can get it up by myself but it is much easier with a cute little blonde helping

(Yup ya'all were expecting me to say redhead,now weren't ya.I'm full of surprises ain't I now)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts