Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, 1992 vulcan, got the engine pulled out for stator replacement. Gear shift shaft is loose. I can move it in and out of the engine about an inch or so, but I can not pull it out far enough to see the groove for the inner circlip. Both of the circlips are touching eachother at the outer circlip groove right now. I have both covers off and the linkage and pawl move and are in good shape. Any ideas on how to pull the shaft out far enough to get the inner circlip back in the groove without farther breaking down the engine?

Thanks for any info

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Welcome to the Vulcan madness firemedic.

I can`t help with the circlip, but will offer another suggestion.
Your bike is 20 years old and the crankshaft balancer dampers are likely beginning to deteriorate. The first sign is rubber chunks showing up in the screen behind the drain plug. Since your engine is already out, I would change them now. Just my 2 cents worth.

In one of Roach`s engine teardown videos he shows that his dampers were breaking down.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18289

·
Registered
335 Posts
just slide it down the shaft till it clicks, i couldn't really see mine either but it engaged.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dampers were done a couple years ago. Thanks for the advise though. :)

I tried to just slide it down, Would not click.. I plan on just making a spacer for the shaft.

·
Registered
335 Posts
the rod may be bent inside the case were the little rod attaches.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I've yet to see that rear groove; sucker hides itself pretty well. The first time I had the engine out, I couldn't get the inner clip to seat and said to hell with it. Second time, I decided to try again, and it slipped right in place. Go figger; guess you just gotta hold yer mouth right and wiggle and twist the shaft a little bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts