Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably in the wrong area but I honestly don't know where the problem lies and where to start.

The other day I was riding my 750 from work like I do about 3-4 days a week. All of a sudden my bike stopped accelerating but was still running. I pulled over safely and realized I couldn't even down shift. I let the bike sit(off) for about 15 minutes and turned it back on. I could shift and accelerate again. This happened to me about a year ago and no one could figure out the problem. It rode fine afterward, which was the weirdest part of it all. I call it my ghost problem.

Any suggests or help would be greatly appreciated. :)

-Jo

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I had a similar occurance two days ago while riding home from work.

One difference is that I could shift down normally.

I`ve been riding to work every day for the past 4 weeks without any mechanical problems. The scoot warms for a couple of minutes while I tie a dufflebag to the back seat and finish gearing up. I have to run a 1/4 mile of gravel driveway from work, then 4 miles of pavement into town. I booted her up to 60 mph in 5th gear and she runs like a champ for about a mile, then loses power and dies. Look at fuel gauge and it is down between 1/4 full and the red empty mark, so I switch to "REServe". I pull over to the side and try to start again a time or two. No go. Open tank cap and rocked bike. Still enough gas to slosh around. Sat there thinking for a minute or two trying to figure out what is going on.

Try starter again, and we are good to go. :) Switched back to RUN because I was not convinced fuel level was down to where REServe is needed. I was right, it ran for 5-6 miles to service station where I filled up with 10.5 liters. Still had ~3 liters in tank.

Has been starting and running fine since then.
Also checked operation of reserve pickup tube previously for 2 days running with a full tank, to be sure it wouldn`t give me contaminated fuel from bottom of tank when I really have an almost MT tank.

Still have no clue what caused loss of power or why it started again after 2 or 3 minutes sitting with the engiine off.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Sounds like "poog" problems.
I considered that, but the engine had only been running for 5 minutes or so.
Also it ran fine for several miles afterwards.
I cleaned out the vent tube and hose a few weeks ago, but still need to check and clean the cap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts