Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone else has lost a stator soon after putting seafoam in the crankcase oil? Probably just a coincidence......

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Seafoam is a petroleum product like oil, so should not hurt epoxy or the stator IMO.

·
Registered
900 Posts
How long did you run it in the crankcase?.. more likly than not.. it losend up all the crudd in the engine..around the stator too and that could cause it to go bad if something shorted against it.. like a peice of metal or something like that.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe a week before the bike started acting stupid.....
Yeah, I didn't know if the Seafoam could eat the coating on the stator, since it eats other stuff in the engine/carbs/ect... or that stuff it cleans could effect the stator???

·
Sparky!!!
8,696 Posts
i wouldn't think so... Seafoam doesn't eat the rubber and plastic components inside a carb and fuel injection units. it is even used inside cars with internal fuel pumps. so yea.. I don't think seafoam did the stator in.. maybe a clutch... but not the stator.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Maybe a week before the bike started acting stupid.....
Yeah, I didn't know if the Seafoam could eat the coating on the stator, since it eats other stuff in the engine/carbs/ect... or that stuff it cleans could effect the stator???
Putting seafoam in the crankcase is intended to be used as a flush and cleaner for a few miles just before draining the oil for an oil and filter change. It is not intended to be used as a full time oil supplement.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
That's right Ol Hoss. I've used seafoam by adding it to the oil just before an oil change, maybe a 10 mile ride to warm the bike up good then drain it. I've done it for years on my bikes. Never had it cause a problem, knock on wood, never had a stator go on me.
Even though, I don't believe the seafoam caused your problem, but I would not leave it in the crank case for more than it takes to warm the bike up to full operating temperature, then drain the oil. I don't believe that it was meant to run full time in the oil.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I put some in my oil and had no problem, I sold the bike 2 years later and still no problem.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I've wondered this too. If your epoxy is old and toasty - who knows? For those of us who had flooded carb issues, gas in the oil might also affect old stators.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts