Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other bikes I've rode, can be started in hear with the clutch pulled in. Why can't I start the vn750 this way? The bike has to be in neutral to start. Is there a mod or something to eliminate this?

Thanks

·
Registered
509 Posts
Other bikes I've rode, can be started in hear with the clutch pulled in. Why can't I start the vn750 this way? The bike has to be in neutral to start. Is there a mod or something to eliminate this?

Thanks
I had the same problem a while back. Spray the switch KM is talking about with some WD40. That took care of mine.

Mcneuby :smiley_th

·
Registered
856 Posts
Most certainly check out the clutch lever switch. Was having the same problem with my little Rebel after putting it back together until I realize that I forgot to hook the wires for the switch back up.

Also, I don't recall if the bike can be started with the kickstand down regardless of the clutch switch being pulled in when the bike is in gear. (been awhile sine I've tried)

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Most certainly check out the clutch lever switch. Was having the same problem with my little Rebel after putting it back together until I realize that I forgot to hook the wires for the switch back up.

Also, I don't recall if the bike can be started with the kickstand down regardless of the clutch switch being pulled in when the bike is in gear. (been awhile sine I've tried)
No, bike cannot be started with kick stand down unless that switch has been by-passed.

My bike was having the same issues until I realized the plug wasn't making good contact. Really need to have that clutch switch working, the tranny can be difficult if trying to get back to neutral from any gear higher than 1st.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I solved that problem by removing both switches and connecting the wires together. I have done that to all my bikes for as long as they have had those switches. My Goldwing did not have a sidestand switch, it used to have a piece of rubber on the sidestand that was supposed to touch down first and flip the sidestand up. Having the clutch switch disabled really came in handy a couple of times on the Goldwing. It was parked on gravel landscaping, and would not start. I couldn't push it because my feet were slipping in the loose gravel. I got on it, put it in gear, and used the starter motor to move it more than 20 feet, out of the gravel.

This is what I did. I am not recommending anyone else do it. I started riding long before there were any such switches.

I also park my bike in first gear all the time when out running around, and always start it is first gear with the clutch pulled in. This is to avoid the shock load (the loud "clunk") that happens when moving gears mesh with non moving gears.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
No, bike cannot be started with kick stand down unless that switch has been by-passed.

My bike was having the same issues until I realized the plug wasn't making good contact. Really need to have that clutch switch working, the tranny can be difficult if trying to get back to neutral from any gear higher than 1st.
I think that might need some more clarification. I start my bike nearly every time with the kickstand down without holding in the clutch. As long as the bike is in Neutral this should not be a problem. And if the bike is in gear, I can hold in the clutch and start it with the kickstand down as well. No switches have been bypassed on my bike.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I think that might need some more clarification. I start my bike nearly every time with the kickstand down without holding in the clutch. As long as the bike is in Neutral this should not be a problem. And if the bike is in gear, I can hold in the clutch and start it with the kickstand down as well. No switches have been bypassed on my bike.
Yeah, that's the factory set-up :smiley_th

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Love these "safety" systems...
Yes you can start th bike with the kickstand down. All bikes I know of allow this (as long as its in neutral or clutch lever in if in gear)

Now, my FJR could NOT run with the stand down clutch lever in if in gear, just neutral only)

My Bonneville can't be started unless the clutch is pulled in...regardless if its in neutral OR in gear.

The Honda scooter I had only will start if the rear brake is applied.

My only suggestion here is to trash all the above nonsense and make bikes so they won't start unless your helmet is strapped...as I see riders who fail to do this all the time.

·
4,508 Posts
My only suggestion here is to trash all the above nonsense and make bikes so they won't start unless your helmet is strapped...as I see riders who fail to do this all the time.
Sometimes ya can fix stupid, but you cannot fix not having good common sense. LOL :p

:smiley_th

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Well, der da der! That's how the bike is designed! I was implying that if one were to start the bike outside of neutral with the kickstand down that it should not start unless the switch was by-passed. I figured this was common knowledge. My bad if it isn't.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
x infinity on the clutch switch. My bike is doing the same thing, cleaning the switch fixes it every time. Moisture is the enemy there I think.

I need a switch on the fork bag straps, so it doesn't start with the fork bag open. I rode at least 20 miles with the bag open yesterday, and at least one other time. duhhhr Now I know why all those people were grinnin' at me.

·
4,508 Posts
x infinity on the clutch switch. My bike is doing the same thing, cleaning the switch fixes it every time. Moisture is the enemy there I think.

I need a switch on the fork bag straps, so it doesn't start with the fork bag open. I rode at least 20 miles with the bag open yesterday, and at least one other time. duhhhr Now I know why all those people were grinnin' at me.
...this gave me a chuckle ! :smiley_th

1 - 13 of 13 Posts