Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found the issue that has been plaguing me for the last two weeks. My generator cover has a crack in it at the bottom rear bolt. It does not appear to go to the bolt hole. Rather than doing major surgury on the bike to get the cover off, I was seriously considering using JB Weld and cover over the crack. I don't have any experience with this product but have heard this is a good product for this purpose. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Taking the generator cover off isn't really major surgery. Replacing the stator, that's major surgery!!

Put the bike on the center stand and take the cover off. Use a degreaser like Acetone to clean off all the oil and dirt. Then you can use the JB weld from both sides to fill the crack and seal the leak. Once hardened, reinstall the cover and you should be fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I will agree. Stator replacement is definately major surgury. That is the reason why I am where I am right now. Just to be certain we are talking about the same part though, the generator cover bolts onto the crank case. The outside generator cover has the three screws holding it to the generator cover. In order to get the generator cover off requires dismounting the engine because of the shifter post and the frame being in the way of removing this cover. Does that make sense?
Will JB Weld work if just applied to the outside of this cover over the crack?

After a further look at the cover I am going to have to remove it inorder to make sure it is sealed up good. I don't have the money to be buying new parts at this time. I have to make sure this bike is good to ride because it is either going to be under my butt for a long time or it is getting sold.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
I misundertood. By generator cover, I thought you meant the part held on by the 3 screws.

I'd go ahead and try to seal it using the JB weld. If you're ready for an oil change, go ahead and drain the oil, then use the Acetone to clean out the crack as best you can, and then try the JB Weld. The worst that can happen is that it won't hold and you will have a small oil leak.

The only problem in pulling the engine and the left side cover is that you will need new gaskets or cut your own. Gaskets aren't cheap but cutting your own can be. It just depends on how patient you can be while tracing them out and cutting them by hand.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like I said before, I will have to pull the cover. I'm actually going to take the cover to a welding shop I found that does works on aluminum. I think in the long run this is the better option. As for the gasket I'm going to use Black RTV. It is oil resistant, flexible, and has a relatively high temperature range of application. In both cases this repair will only cost me the time to remove the cover, get it welded, apply the RTV, and reinstall the cover. Total estimated cost; $30. Priceless.

·
Addicted to Projects
545 Posts
As long as there aren't any grinding noises (see some of my threads for the results of the grinding), I would just try the JB Weld on the outside first. It is just liquid metal and if it doesn't work it can be sanded/ground off when you take it in for a weld.

·
Addicted to Projects
545 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I will agree. Stator replacement is definately major surgury. That is the reason why I am where I am right now. Just to be certain we are talking about the same part though, the generator cover bolts onto the crank case. The outside generator cover has the three screws holding it to the generator cover. In order to get the generator cover off requires dismounting the engine because of the shifter post and the frame being in the way of removing this cover. Does that make sense?
Will JB Weld work if just applied to the outside of this cover over the crack?

After a further look at the cover I am going to have to remove it inorder to make sure it is sealed up good. I don't have the money to be buying new parts at this time. I have to make sure this bike is good to ride because it is either going to be under my butt for a long time or it is getting sold.
Hey bro how did that work out for you ? I have a small crack in mine to exact same bolt area. Did the jb weld hold???

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Hey bro how did that work out for you ? I have a small crack in mine to exact same bolt area. Did the jb weld hold???
If you read further, he said he was taking it to get welded, and didn't use JBweld. I wouldn't trust JB as anything other than filler. It won't seal up a crack.

·
Registered
9,109 Posts
I used JB to glue chunks back into a two-stroke engine, it held and didn't leak oil ever. Everything has to be clean, and a rough surface helps. The broken chunks were rough exactly where they needed to be.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I used JB to glue chunks back into a two-stroke engine, it held and didn't leak oil ever. Everything has to be clean, and a rough surface helps. The broken chunks were rough exactly where they needed to be.
Note that Spockster wasn't sealing a single-ended crack. The whole chunk came out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you read further, he said he was taking it to get welded, and didn't use JBweld. I wouldn't trust JB as anything other than filler. It won't seal up a crack.
Its cool man i went to a bike yard today and got a new alternator cover for 25 bucks.. I went the safe route. I'm cleaning it up now getting ready to put it all back together .

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got the new one on but the little rubber grommets for the pickups and stator seem to not fit as good as they did in my old one is that something to worry about or will they squeeze down when I tighten them down?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts