Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's why I ask: when I cleaned the carbs on McKnight, they were a wreck - totally gummed up with varnish. I wasn't able to remove (and clean) the float bowls because I think the screws on each were varnished on tightly. So I cleaned everything else and hoped for the best. Took McKnight out this evening, and I'm pretty sure my float bowls are stuck open (a little throttle goes a long, long way). Dumped some Seafoam in, started the engine to move it through the system a little, and will see what tomorrow brings. But assuming I'm still getting too much fuel, I'll need to pull the carbs and somehow break into the float chambers. Can I use an impact driver to loosen those screws? Or am I gonna make a greater mess of things doing that? If "greater mess" is the response, anyone got any ideas for getting those screws out? I learned from Orleans that tugging at a 'pry point' does not loosen those screws, but will crack the aluminim around them...:hitanykey

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
If you are careful a Impact driver might work, try light taps first.
Sometimes teh vibration is all you need

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Chad. I guess if I'm overzealous, then I'll be looking at a JB Weld job again...

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Probably not much else ya can try if they're that tight.

Just like Chad said, start lightly. If they don't break loose easily, the vibes may work some of the Seafoam in better, then try again a little later.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
Those damn screws that they use for the carbs are so freaking soft. Every time I take apart a carb, I usually end up replacing all the screws as half of them end up getting the heads all messed up from just removing them.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those damn screws that they use for the carbs are so freaking soft. Every time I take apart a carb, I usually end up replacing all the screws as half of them end up getting the heads all messed up from just removing them.
Gosh, I'm glad to hear you say that - I was thinking it was me, but they really are mushy aren't they? Which, I guess, is also why they oxidize easily or do whatever to firmly attach themselves to the threads. I guess I can also sploot the chambers with acetone and see if that at least dissolves the build-up on the outside (but I'll have to accept whatever consequences befall the insides....).

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I know this is probably painfully obvious to most, but I figure there may be some newbie wrenchers that need to know... A Phillips head screw doesn't mean any phillips head screwdriver will fit. There are way too many variables in my opinion in the heads of these screws and using a slightly wrong bit or screwdriver tip is a sure path to boogering up a screwhead. Especially on carbs where the screws are kind of important to have the right ones for the fit, test several different tips on the screws and find the one that fits the most snug and has no slop. That will help to keep from chewing out the inside of a phillips screw, "almost" every time.

Cindy, I'm certainly not saying you used the wrong tip. Just thought I'd point it out since I know we have wrenchers from both ends of the scale here!

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know this is probably painfully obvious to most, but I figure there may be some newbie wrenchers that need to know... A Phillips head screw doesn't mean any phillips head screwdriver will fit. There are way too many variables in my opinion in the heads of these screws and using a slightly wrong bit or screwdriver tip is a sure path to boogering up a screwhead. Especially on carbs where the screws are kind of important to have the right ones for the fit, test several different tips on the screws and find the one that fits the most snug and has no slop. That will help to keep from chewing out the inside of a phillips screw, "almost" every time.

Cindy, I'm certainly not saying you used the wrong tip. Just thought I'd point it out since I know we have wrenchers from both ends of the scale here!
THanks, Fergy, that's a great point - alas, when I had the carbs off before, I played around with various drill bits to get the best fit, and that one didn't budge the screw. Didn't strip the inside of it, either, just didn't move it.

Anybody got any gaskets for the float bowls that they want to sell? Just in case??

·
Registered
125 Posts
PB Blaster will take care of those screws within a few days, almost guaranteed. I tinker on things almost daily for friends and family and it is the best stuff I have ever used. Just spray it on good, then wait overnight or a day or two if it's really bad and it'll do the rest! Can get it at almost all auto stores.

Hope it helps!

http://www.pbblaster.com/

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Blaster usually works really well, although if you have to soak something for an extended period with it, it can chew up a gasket. I guess at that point, either PB or acetone would do the trick - just would need to get new float bowl gaskets in anticipation of damage.

Fortunately, the Seafoam appears to have worked some; either that or the well-placed "thunks" with the butt-end of my socket wrench did the trick. I'll need to clean those out at some point, but here's hoping I can get the bike in for inspection this week!! :smiley_th

·
Registered
21 Posts
PB Blaster will take care of those screws within a few days, almost guaranteed. I tinker on things almost daily for friends and family and it is the best stuff I have ever used. Just spray it on good, then wait overnight or a day or two if it's really bad and it'll do the rest! Can get it at almost all auto stores.

Hope it helps!

http://www.pbblaster.com/
I'll 2nd the PB Blaster. If it doesn't budge the next day, spray a little more and try the 2nd day. If it doesn't budge the 2nd day, try a little heat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts