Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i pulled the front cylinder apart and everything looked good. put it back together and started on rear. when i removed the head cap i could smell burnt metal. after removing cams i could tell they were worn pretty bad, and so were the rocker arms. what would cause one cylinder to wear and not the other? the valves looked different too. looks like it was too lean. do i need to have the heads checked out or just replace the cams and rockers?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
ok i pulled the front cylinder apart and everything looked good. put it back together and started on rear. when i removed the head cap i could smell burnt metal. after removing cams i could tell they were worn pretty bad, and so were the rocker arms. what would cause one cylinder to wear and not the other? the valves looked different too. looks like it was too lean. do i need to have the heads checked out or just replace the cams and rockers?
This is just a guess, but there is tiny disc shaped oil filter in the head. It would be similar in size to a button battery for a watch I think. If it became clogged, it could restrict or stop the flow of lubricating oil to the camshafts.

It sits at the bottom of a hole in the boss near the center of the head between the cams and is held in place with a coil spring. I believe you will need compressed air to remove the filter. At about 2:57 of roach`s video link he points out the spring over the filter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYBtjGF-ZhU

1 - 3 of 3 Posts