Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
750 fanatic
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the Cam chain seems tight at a point and then becomes loose, I have the engine open right now but would like to know what you guys might think about it. The chain seems fine but is there a way to check the chain without having to replace it. The gears show almost no wear to indicate that chain might be slipping or jump time.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Uh, which cam chain, the upper or lower one? It is possible for any chain to have tight spots, though cam chains are a lot less likely to have them than drive chains. I have seen new bikes with drive chains so far off that it was impossible to properly adjust them, where some spots would be at the extreme loose side of spec, and some spots would be at the tight side. With drive chains this can also be caused by poorly made sprockets, or a combination of the two. But internal engine parts should be a lot more precise than that. I would not use a cam chain that I had any doubts about, but I would make sure it actually was the chain and not a guide or tensioner causing the problem. Also the Vulcan has those HyVo chains, which I don't really know much about.

·
Registered
64 Posts
How loose is loose?

At top dead center with no load on cam lobes the chain can be deflected between the cam sprockets, but not much.

The acct should take up most all of the slack if they are working properly.

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts