Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my stator is dead, I have what sounds like cam chain noise, and my bike has 92,000 miles on it. I am not going to replace the stator in it because of the mileage and the liklihood of other issues. The problem is, I love this bike. I've had 2 of them, both bought new, and a total of 170,000 miles on them. Out of 40 some bikes, this was my favorite. While I had this bike, several other bikes came and went. I even sold it once, and wound up buying it back. It's that good (IMO)

I have found a couple of nice looking Vulcan 750s on Craigslist, for what can be considered reasonable prices (for this area, used bikes are not cheap here) Both have just over 20,000 miles on them. One is a '97, the other is a 2000. I figure that if the final drive turned out to be bad, I have a perfectly good one already. I could transfer all my accessories over to another bike. But knowing about all the Vulcan 750s problems worries me. My ACCTs first failed at 15,000 miles. What if the same thing happened on these bikes, but the owner kept riding them?. Also, I'm partly convinced that the stator and balancer failures may have just as much if not more to do with time as miles. I could be buying a bike that already has or is about to have major problems.

I have also considered other bikes. Honda's Shadow Spirit 1100 or a late '90s Yamaha Virago 750 or 1100 would be good choices. Neither one has the roll on power of the Vulcan that I have gotten so used to. But then neither does anything else I like. It would have to be a carbed bike, with tubeless tires, those are getting hard to find in decent condition. If Kawasaki still made the Vulcan 750, I would have already bought a third new one.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If it were me I'd probably change out the stator and ride it til something major went wrong. I did the tuxedo mod to mine recently and wasn't difficult or expensive. But mine only has 16k miles. You said yours has cam chain noise, does it still have acct's or mcct's?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
Ok, so you love the bike, have had great success with them, can find one with in your price range.... Seeing as you know the issues this bike has, have a decent amount of spare parts, already has the extras you want and experience wrenching on it it seems like a no brainer.

Why switch to a similar, but not quite the same, used bike? go with what you know. Check it out really thorough before you buy it, use your knowledge of the bike against the current owner and talk him down and ride away happy.

·
200% senile
164 Posts
Ok, so you love the bike, have had great success with them, can find one with in your price range.... Seeing as you know the issues this bike has, have a decent amount of spare parts, already has the extras you want and experience wrenching on it it seems like a no brainer.

Why switch to a similar, but not quite the same, used bike? go with what you know. Check it out really thorough before you buy it, use your knowledge of the bike against the current owner and talk him down and ride away happy.
+1 Seems like a no brainer to me too for all the reasons Chris mentioned, plus what you said. One of the things I like about the 750 is that the info is available about what to do when you do have a problem...along with the upgrades.

·
2,505 Posts
Sounds like you're trying to talk yourself into not buying another one, but you know you will......
Even I couldn't go a year after selling my last one, hopefully I'll be putting it into good hands soon. That's #4 for me.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Besides a vn750 sure beats owning a; scooter;)get a vulcan.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Jerry, While I love my VN a Honda V45 is a 750 with about 70 hp and very reliable. The frame is a little shorter and seat a bit lower and with 4 carbs you may need to pay a shop $200 to rebuild and sync them once every few years but worth considering. Very fast and reliable

The Honda V65 is a step larger than our VN's (530 lbs dry weight) but it's 1100cc engine puts out 117 hp and can be darn near dangerous since they lift the front wheel if you crank the throttle in the 1st two gears but also extremely reliable.

While neither is as pretty as our VNs both give you the thrill for a low price and have excellent reputations for reliability.

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
I'd say stick with what you know and love. Then again, I'm a VN750 owner so I'm a bit biased.

The other two you mentioned don't have all the features that the VN750 has and they weren't made for 21 years straight. Finding spare parts for VN750s is super easy.

-Sloppy

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The problem I have with buying an older used Vulcan 750 is that I do know about their problems. I bought both mine brand new, and they were properly maintained. I wouldn't mind switching out a final drive, or even pulling an engine, but I don't want to get involved with disassembling an engine, at least beyond replacing a stator. My health is not what it used to be, in fact I am medically retired (disabled) I mostly want to just ride, not spend all my time working on a bike. The other bikes I mentioned do not have the known issues the Vulcan does. I notice several new members showing up after having just bought Vulcans that already had problems, like the stator or splines. A new used bike might not be any better than what I have.

I still have my new Royal Enfield, but it is for short local rides only. I would not trust it to ride several hundred miles from home on. Riding season will be here in a couple of months, and I would like to find something to ride by then. Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
I too am glad to see you back, Jerry. Things have changed from your last time.

I would hesitate to buy another vn750. They will soon be out of production 10 years. I go to ebay daily, quality used parts are less in the 1 1/2 yrs I have lurked there.

Let us know what you decide.

·
Super Moderator
11,824 Posts
Guess I'd go against the others here and say find something different.

Change is good and variety is the spice of life. There are countless motorcycles out there, and I'd rather try riding all of them than just sticking with a few.

Find an old Triumph ;), or a Nighthawk. Maybe an old Concours or Honda ST. Or even one of those big Suzuki scooters....those VTX models seem popular...

That Suzuki 250 looks nice too....

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what happened to your GLs?
Bad luck there too. I've had 2 of them. The first was a 1985 1200LTD. It was given to me, in non running condition, and in pretty bad condition. It was the top of the line model in 1985, was loaded with stuff, including computerized fuel injection. This was 1985, and electronics were different back then. I spent all summer working on it, as well as over $1000, and never did get it right. I did get around 11000 miles out of it, but I finally got so frustrated with it that I sold it cheap to a guy that parts out bikes on eBay. I lost a lot of money, but it was all that work and frustration that made me decide not to go down that road again.

By that time I had joined a local GW club, and wanted to stay there. So I bought a 1995 GL1500. Kept it for about a year, many of the gizmos on it failed, but it still ran ok. Until it started jumping out of 4th gear on acceleration. This was a common problem with Goldwings from 1988 through 1997, when they got the Valkyrie transmission. It was a $3000 repair. I sold that one too, and gave up on Goldwings. Now a Goldwing is just to big and heavy to be any fun, and I would eventually wind up dropping it.

What I need is a 750-1100 cruiser. But as much as I like the Vulcan 750, it has so many known issues (though not known to everyone) that I am afraid of buying a used one. Bikes like the Honda Shadow and later model Yamaha Virago have no known serious problems. Most later model cruisers, like the Vulcan 900s, have tube type tires, and at my age and condition, I'm not interested in dealing with them. Even with a centerstand, I don't feel like removing tires beside the road.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Bad luck there too. I've had 2 of them. The first was a 1985 1200LTD. It was given to me, in non running condition, and in pretty bad condition. It was the top of the line model in 1985, was loaded with stuff, including computerized fuel injection. This was 1985, and electronics were different back then. I spent all summer working on it, as well as over $1000, and never did get it right. I did get around 11000 miles out of it, but I finally got so frustrated with it that I sold it cheap to a guy that parts out bikes on eBay. I lost a lot of money, but it was all that work and frustration that made me decide not to go down that road again.

By that time I had joined a local GW club, and wanted to stay there. So I bought a 1995 GL1500. Kept it for about a year, many of the gizmos on it failed, but it still ran ok. Until it started jumping out of 4th gear on acceleration. This was a common problem with Goldwings from 1988 through 1997, when they got the Valkyrie transmission. It was a $3000 repair. I sold that one too, and gave up on Goldwings. Now a Goldwing is just to big and heavy to be any fun, and I would eventually wind up dropping it.

What I need is a 750-1100 cruiser. But as much as I like the Vulcan 750, it has so many known issues (though not known to everyone) that I am afraid of buying a used one. Bikes like the Honda Shadow and later model Yamaha Virago have no known serious problems. Most later model cruisers, like the Vulcan 900s, have tube type tires, and at my age and condition, I'm not interested in dealing with them. Even with a centerstand, I don't feel like removing tires beside the road.
If you were to go with the Vulcan 900 Custom, they've got tubeless tires. Plus IMHO, the overall fit and feel is far more comfortable then the 750, and I felt pretty comfortable on the stock seat. There is a lot more room to stretch out due to the bigger/longer frame.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
I couldn't be happier with my 1200 sportster. They also seem to be a dime a dozen, at least around here in SC and NC. Bought this one in April and I've put close to 3500 miles on it and still waiting for something to go wrong. I loved the way the vulcan rode and it was more comfy. I like the torque of the 1200 and there is only, ONE CARB and no water to worry about. Seems about as simple a bike as you can get. MPG is the same or better.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
You need an older wing.my 79 only weighs 605 lbs and handles nice.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
What's the matter w tube tires? 60k on my vn 800 never had a problem w tires.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
What's the matter w tube tires? 60k on my vn 800 never had a problem w tires.
they've got tubes,silly;).actually I find them easier to change as you don't have to set the bead

·
Registered
450 Posts
On my 2nd Vulcan 750 now,this forum is FULL of issues with the bike,all kinds of Mech/Elec/Other issues...kinda makes you wanna shy away!!BUT kinda like a ______ accident,you never hear about the thousands of good miles put on (this particular) bike...know what I mean!!??

1 - 20 of 45 Posts