Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to cut down my windscreen, and since I had it off to change my speedo & tach I gave it a shot. I figured 2" would be a good place to start, I could always do more later.
Made a template of the top edge and traced it onto masking tape, then cut along the line and the rest is history.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Good looking, I did mine as well.
Makes a big difference.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I cut mine a while back. I have since raised the mounting of the whole windshield in alignment with the grips to keep the wind off my hands on those cold and rainy days. The problem now is that I have to trim a bit more off the top so I can see over the windshield rather than through it for those night time and rainy days riding.

Just curious what you used to cut it, and how did you finish the edges?

I also noticed that the way the brackets are mounted to the handlebars is similar to how others have them...which is how it was designed...lol The "knobs" are turned inward. I found that to be annoying because it hindered the view to the dash instruments for me.

I mounted mine with the "knobs" on the outside of the handlebars. It kinda puts the top ball joint connection to the windshield in a funny position, but it works for me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a PF3. I find the top edge of the shield is in my line of view if I'm doing anything but riding in a straight line, at which time I'm looking through the shield. Thinking of cutting it down, but hate to lose the wind protection it currently provides. Not even so much the wind protection, per se, but the absence of helmet buffeting. When you all cut your windshields, did you end up with more buffeting?

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
IMO, the best height for a windshield is "even with your mouth". Very few are optically perfect enough to actually view thru, unless ya spend bigbucks.
Main purpose of a bike windshield is just that, to DEFLECT the wind, not totally block it. Too tall, you'll likely get turbulence as well. Mine was cut down to mouth level (I used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel), and works fine. I DO however get an updraft from below which blows my beard up into my face (windshield doesnt go much lower than bottom of headlight). I sometimes tie it off with a hairtie.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts