Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I’m new here and don’t know much about these bikes. I’ve tried searching for my problem and can’t find anything that matches close enough. My r/r plug is burned up on what looks to be the white battery wire from my understanding. The plug does look highly corroded. Does anyone know what would cause this? Just the plug corrosion or something more?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
The white wire carries all the output current from the regulator to the bike's systems when running, so it carries a fair amount of current. Corrosion on the plug would increase the resistance there, causing heat, so that might just be the reason behind the torched lead.

However, stator and rectifier failures are pretty common on these bikes, so there may be something more wrong with those elements. A short in the stator could cause current from the battery to flow through the white wire through the regulator and stator to the frame/ground. That should blow the 30 amp fuse, but could heat up the lead pretty badly.

Look up how to test the stator for a short, check the fuses as diagnostic clues, and expect to buy a new R/R even if the stator is ok. They seem to fail in pairs, though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts